Condor Baracchi cleaned up nicely

johhnyp

Dirt Disciple
Here is the second item which I am cleaning up and selling on behalf of my uncle: http://tinyurl.com/3a2faom

He bought it second hand in 1980, and subsequently had it resprayed in its current colours.

I have provided the frame number to Condor and asked if they could let me have the history, so that I can date it accurately.

I think that the lack of fussiness, fillet brazing and colour scheme give it a nice minimal look.

Am I right in assuming this was their time trial frameset? Evidenced by the vertical dropouts and shot in stays. (later these features came to road race frames too)

Yes, a Monty TT special with (IIRC) design assistance from RTTC legend John Pritchard. John now lives back in Wales and his house is actually called Castel Baracchi .... he's just started racing again, at 62!

For those who don't know, the Trofeo Baracchi (Baracchi Trophy) was the 2-up version of the Grand Prix de Nations, generally regarded as unofficial word time trial championship. Held in the 1960s and possibly a bit later but now just a memory.

Condor just called me back with some more information on this frame.

It was built in 1971 by Vic Edwards who was their top frame builder at the time and whom Grant, owner of the shop and son of the original owner, considers to be one of the top frame builders of his generation.

Back