'92 Orange Clockwork

After a couple of months of riding rather than building, I'm now collecting bits for this build. So far the list includes NOS XT hubs or nearly new DX hubs (which to go with?), NOS XT thumbies, NOS DX cantis, DX front & rear mechs. I've got a NOS XT headset on the way. Unsure whether to stick with the rigid forks or a set of RC35s I picked up - thoughts?

Attachments

• Orange.jpg
    Orange.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,583
Depends on what your other bikes are like in your sig, but i'd build it with the rigids you have. It'll be quicker and you can get used to it before you decide if you want some bounce or not. Else you might buy some PACE and then decide you want to go rigid.

But only my ramblings.

Nice stash of goods as well fella.

Oops. Seen you have the PACE already. I'd stick rigid if it were me but you pays your money, make your choices... :oops:

Glad this has resurfaced and look forward to seeing the build.

Got RC35's on mine and like 'em but will also run it rigid one day. Either or will be :cool: . What colour have you decided to paint it?

I am leaning towards keeping the rigids - I'll definitely keep the same colour as original. Have the decals ready & waiting. The rest of the list runs like this:
seatpost: to be sourced USE (pref Ti but otherwise alu)
saddle: Flite or Rolls
seatbolt: TBS X-Lite
Brake levers: prob DX M732's with the shifters cut-off
Stem: TBS Orange Stalk quill
Bars: Pace Sub-130
Grips: ODI Tomac (maybe - a bit thick for my liking)
Cassette: LX
B/B: UN70
Chain: TBS prob SRAM 7 spd
Chainset, rims, tyres, & spokes unsure...

An update on bits - need to get a seatpost - can anyone confirm the appropriate diameter required? Tough to tell with my calipers - am concerned the seattube may have been compressed in the past... (looks like 26.4mm).
Have a nice Pace stem to go on although there's a crack in one of the bar bands - so will need replacing before riding.
Need some period rims - anyone got a pair of 32h M231s?

Attachments

• Orange.jpg
    Orange.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 1,430
Update...

The frame & forks are off to the powder coaters on Monday. I'm waiting on a silver ATAC and some M231s I got off the Bay. I've also got a NOS USE titanium 'post & a DX cassette from there so things are coming together. I found a Psyco & a Smoke in the garage (both amber wall & lightly used) which I'm looking forward to using on this. Pedals, saddle, grips & cables tbc (& maybe the bb depending on what i've got in the garage). Can't wait to get a fresh looking frame back & cracking on with this. I'm also stripping down my RC35s (which would be good to use from time to time) & hopefully swapping the steerer (it's a 1 1/8 & I need a 1") - with ishaw - we'll see...
Hopefully then there'll be need for some new pics later in the week too :D

Nice :cool: , what colour are you going for ?, from what i've gathered the grey ones were pretty rare, have considered re-doing my 91 grey.

Incedently i've found the standard rigid forks pretty flexy (but direct at the same time if that makes sense), so are not too harsh, should be nice with the Pace's on though.

Looking forward to the progress ;)

Thanks!

I'm keeping the grey - I'm hoping for a very close colour match to the original. I just carefully peeled off the Tange sticker ready to hopefully stick it back on once the paint's sorted...

I intend to set it up with the original forks - but I'll sort the rc35s out in due course so I can stick them on if i fancy a change.

Just ordered a ti railed Rolls which I think will be a great addition.

Going to give the cranks a good polish this week & may try to replicate the "Shimano Deore" text too if I'm feeling brave.

Looks like mine will be one of a dozen or so Clockworks on the 1st page of the forum! (And I'm not even going to try & compete with Tim Davies...)

Back