46er for MiniKen

clockworkgazz":3sdsluq6 said:
humour me but what is the thinking on the different size wheels- pro's con's?

Bigger wheel will roll better smaller wheel will accelerate faster and turn better. Soo roughly

24" accelerate fast and turn tight but hook up in divots etc
26" accelerate good and turn good rolls over most things
29" slower acceleration but rolls well over obstacles

mixing and matching theoretically will give the best of both worlds. Furinstance the 69ers are 29ers with a 26" rear wheel this lets them turn a bit better without compromising too much the big wheel advantage. I'm rubbish at explaining but hopefully you get what I mean.

Yesterday I finished miniKens 46er - Street tests seem pretty good, will do some offroad soon, front brake snaps like a piranha which will take a bit of getting used to, never had a brake that stops so fast, I think the tyre helps.

Pedals are a little pink when they were meant to be red, he doesn't mind them just now. And a nice red cnc stem will finish it off... when I find one I like for under a tenner :)

I reckon he will ask for suspension and a 24 inch front wheel before too long, but this will teach him how to pick a line and land a jump properly.

25a1ff10.jpg

The 2.35 rear tyre fits, just, I had to shave a little rubber off :)
c0600fd8.jpg

ab73e466.jpg

He has added stickers now too, reasonably well placed, I made him polish it first :) he didn't like that.

Costs:
Wellgo Pedals £16
DMR Tyres £36
Halo Skewers £10
Suntour 153mm Cranks £20
Hope Hub Rear £25 - Thanks to big eck for the karma rim and wheel build
Forks Project 2 - £18
Frame - 24'' Wheeled Hotrock - Packet of biscuits and bottle of wine to LBS
All the rest karma and previous donor bike.

Total £125

aye thats turned out well, a great starter, much better than what i started on!
dont suppose the lbs has anymore of these frames going?

Just an update of the bike in action at Glentress - well up for the job and holds a very steady line during jumps...

These frames were taken from movies, I'll stick them up on the YT once I've edited out the other kids.
AirHead.jpg

glentresssambday2010003.jpg

Back