Klunker project - now finished!!!!

biglev":17lc6x4l said:
After much work and loads of help for the forum (DRS, j-westy and others) and Alan Bonds (told me where to get rare parts - how good is that) i finaly finished my paint and got all the parts together here is the finished bike:

later 1940's-early 50's schwinn DX frame, enamel paint, Lasante badge

those rams look great - tricky to pull off cleanly aren't they ;-)

biglev":17lc6x4l said:
Thanks for everyones help and enthusiam. This was a tricky build and by no means as good as some of the others guys build but i love it and it ruides pretty good too.

Happy trails
Pete

It's a sweet build - been meaning to for some time but I will work up a UK page on the www.clunkers.net site, those interested please PM me and I will start collecting the details.

Eric

bravo for the "rebirth" especially the welding work. Would love to master such a craft :idea: ;)

still contemplating such a revival but frames are very scarce on the continent not to say absent. :cry:

would the 60(s frames such as a corvette be very different different from the 40's or 50's frame.

Is a corvette a bit lighter than the around the war frames ?

and are the "modern" schwinn frames worthy of any attention ????
or are they taiwan ,or chinese made now ( which does not mean low quality but just wonder ) ? are they with "heating pipe tubing" ?

the chances of gettign a pre war schwinn is thin and expensive, the post war 50-60's are good but they have drop outs like mine, you can get a frame like that shipped to the uk from the usa for around £100 the rest of the stuff you can get here. i have a drum brak frotn hub if you want for startes and you can get cruise front forks here:
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewforum.php?id=2

feel free to ask me otr drs abotu the rest of the build and shadow of mt tam or even check out alan bonds site:
http://clunkers.net/index.html for build tips.

Cheers
Pete

You really want a C type pre war or DX post war frame for a good clunker. They were often made under different names though so its tricky getting it right- I'm just starting to learn and I guess it will be a long journey. The C and DXs were popular because they had higher bottom brackets.
In reality though, those guys used what ever they could find. You really need to talk to CK, Alan Bonds or Joe Breeze to get the low down- those guys have the knowledge, not me.

Nice build especially the small details. They get over looked a lot on some klunker builds. The fork looks like a powerlite or something though. I hope you didn't have to pay a cook bro. price for it on the museum.

i may have been robbed then they were $40 bucks but it was the postage to uk that stung. All good though.:¬)

You did fine. that sounds like a good deal whatever brand of fork it is even with shipping. The last set of 26" Cook bros. forks I watched on ebay went for 400 and something US.

it seems that all 26" cruiser forks are pretty rare and the only cheep ones are the chrome china replica model. i may need to stock pile before my next build!

Back