disc brake hose mounts

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Older forks and frames do not have mounts for disc brake hoses and although there may be gubbins thatr can be bought, I was using strips cut from plastic bottles held to the brake boss via a bolt. It worked but well, looked like strips cut from plastic bottles held to the brake boss via a bolt.

So having some 3/16 hose clips, as used for car brake pipes, thought I'd make something nicer looking and lighter.

Forks tend to have M8 thread for the brake bosses that are removed. I put on a short length of M8 thread onto an 8mm aluminium rod from B&Q and cut it a couple mm above the thread - the unthreaded part to stop the plug from screwing all the way in. I drilled and tapped M4 and finally a saw cut to act as a screwdriver slot (I hack saw bladed is used to screw the plug in).

first photo shows the plug - the M4 hole is offcentre since I do not have a lathe and next photo shows it fitted.

DSC06867.jpg

DSC06871.jpg

The rear brake bosses are tapped to some fine possible non metric thread, larger than M8 so I could not make a plug from aluminium.

I have strip of plastic and made a T-shaped plug, drilled to take a self tapper. Photo shows home made cutters. Some fetting with a file was needed. For the second of these plugs, I used a hacksaw to put some thread - very crude but worked well enough to allow t he plug to be screwed in. Left hand shows previous mount - cut down brake boss, plastic bottle strip and bolt - right hand shows the plug, clip and tools to make it.

Last photo shows the plug fitted.

DSC06872.jpg

DSC06875.jpg
:idea:

02gf74":1s1l0mp2 said:

Forks tend to have M5 thread for the brake bosses that are removed.
I've never seen brake bosses with a fixing as small as M5 - some Marzocchis use M6
I put on a short length of M5 thread onto an 8mm aluminium rod from B&Q and cut it a couple mm above the thread - the unthreaded part to stop the plug from screwing all the way in.

I guess that you meant that you threaded an 8mm bar M8, not M5?

The rear brake bosses are tapped to some fine possible non metric thread, larger than M8 so I could not make a plug from aluminium.

M10 x 1mm - same as rear mech. hanger thread and Shimano wheel spindles etc.
Looks tidy enough once its all done though..... :cool:

^^^ well spotted - it is M8 in forks - putting M5 onto 8 mm rod is gonna take some doing - corrected the post.

re: rear, at leas on Gary Fisher frame - it could be M10 but is not the standard M10 thread - looks too fine - I didn't try to fit an M10 bolt to check since it looked too fine plus I do not have any 10 mm bar to make the same type of plug.

02gf74":21kcjk2n said:
^^^ well spotted - it is M8 in forks - putting M5 onto 8 mm rod is gonna take some doing - corrected the post.

re: rear, at leas on Gary Fisher frame - it could be M10 but is not the standard M10 thread - looks too fine - I didn't try to fit an M10 bolt to check since it looked too fine plus I do not have any 10 mm bar to make the same type of plug.

"Standard" M10 thread is 10 x 1.25mm pitch.

Back