RIH bicycle, how much is it worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John121

Retro Newbie
I have an RIH frame and was wondering how much it's worth. It's been stored in my shed for the last 20 years. I just washed all the dirt off it that gather from sitting in the shed.

I'm thinking about rebuilding the bike to relive my cycling past.

The frame paint is original but scratched badly. Color is white with RIH stickers. I really want to paint it but the stickers on it are probably not replaceable.

The frame serial number is 84111. Someone told me it was made in the 70's or early 80's.

The top tube has the words "Amstel Bier" whatever that means.

I raced this bike in USCF racing in the late 80's and always felt the bike was faster than others I rode. The wheel base is so short the rear tire almost touches the seat post down tube.

I was doing some research today and discovered the RIH shop still makes frames in the same shop as it made them in the early 1900's.

First of all you must be aware that there are two framebuilders that use the RIH name. One in the Netherlands and the other in Austria. Since your frame has the marking Amstel Bier, which is Dutch for Amstel Beer, a brewery located in Amsterdam, I would guess that yours is made by the Dutch builder. The RIH frames are well-made and well-respected in the Netherlands.

i would say that Mel (elev12k) is your man for this question, he is on his way home from the old world champs in wales at the mo but i'm sure he'll respond when he sees the thread ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back