mystery late seventys road bike

I've just picked up a Barry hoban bike with exactly the same cable routing on the bottom bracket..... I'll be taking some pictures later and putting it in readers road bike......

Looks like the product of a small builder, 100's used Nervex Pro.
The top eyes look like solid eyes, but are set too high, and almost cover the seat lug.
The cable guide is a mess, and looks like a later addition.
Wrapover seat stays were almost universal on decent frames in the early 1960's. Some cheaper frames just tacked a plate over the hollow top of the seat stays. Surprisingly the purple carlton looks like solid top eyes.

Just remembered this post......... :oops:

2igniv5.jpg

They look slightly different to yours after all............

Quite a common numbering system, used by Jensen in Croydon, but Stan Etherden would have brazed it much better.
Likely 1961, over 10 frames a week was a lot for a small local builder, but the numbers could have continued from previous year.

thanks again just found some photos of jensens and could be. its the post 78 nuovo record group set and 700c wheels that could make it later or it could have been rebuilt i supose.i wonder if chas roberts could identify it.

i have been looking at my bike and the pics of jensens i think mine probably started out as a single speed and was converted hence the cable eyes and guide brackets not being quite right

Some identification information

The bottom bracket cable routing is indeed unusual, and I believe its from a repaint - NOT original. Someone has disassembled a campagnolo bottom bracket routing clip and brazed it onto your bottom bracket. Those are NOT campagnolo BB routing braze-ons, it's a kluge, unfortunately.

If the seatstay wrapover stays taper to a point and meet at the top of the seat lug, and if you have a davis crown, then this bike would match my 1967 raleigh / carlton competition (USA model, in the USA carltons were imported with raleigh livery). The Davis crown would be very light, and if you lay the fork flat on the table the crown has a |E look to it, with the 'E' in a curvey shape and the '|' a solid slash across the top of the crown.

Best wishes and good luck!

Back