1999 Gary Fisher X-Caliber

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
This was one of the very first Gary Fisher bikes to be equiped with disc brakes. Which was great but for the fact that is used non standard rear mount.

The rear caliper sits inside the rear triangle - seat stay and chain stay - so as far as I know, there is only one model of caliper that fits - a rarer than a photo of Mike Tyson in a library Hayes model.

10 years on being fed up with rims gound away by mud and grit, I'd thought I do a conversion to discs. My standard disc brake - 4-pot XT - will not fit in the space but so happens that Magura Marta front caliper will - just. The rear one, with longer mounting arm will fit but needs 180 mm disc instead of a 160 mm.

First photo shows the evolution of making the caliper: starting with a paper template, thin aluminum template to a 3 mm steel bracket. The steel bracket, not only being heavy, was difficult for me to bend to be square and get flat so I made a more accurate one from 6 mm aluminium angle.

Having measured other caliker mounts, they tend to be 8 to 10 mm thick so I made it once again from 8 mm aluminium angle as the 6 mm may be too weak.

Last photo shows it painted and fitted.

Only draw back is the bleed nipple sits below the pistons so it is not possible to bleed the caliper - easily remedied by undoing the 2 bolts and positioning it behind the seat stay.

Attachments

• DSC06876.JPG
    DSC06876.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 5,781
  • DSC06892.JPG
    DSC06892.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 5,777
A2Z already make them....

AD-PMR.jpg

Nice work though.

mikesnowdon":39fv6sq0 said:
A2Z already make them....

AD-PMR.jpg

Nice work though.
borrox!!! :evil: I didn't think there would be such a thinbg, guess I should have googled asked first. A shit load of hours went into making that . :(

arrgghhh, found them, only £ 12 too . :? :cry:

I wouldn't complain mate, you've done a super job and how many can say they've done that?

That, plus the AZ2 looks more like one of your earlier attempts, hardly up to par with your final effort.

Gary Fisher

Always liked these frames, Not enough Fisher frames on here by far, seen as though he really started it all! Good work.

Re: Gary Fisher

Wold Ranger":wn0s5sym said:
Always liked these frames, Not enough Fisher frames on here by far, seen as though he really started it all! Good work.

I am liking it more and more - except the colour :twisted: . I had opportunity to buy a MT Tam (blue/orange paint scheme) that I thogh looked great from local bike shop in a sale but managed to get the x-caliber a bit cheaper in US without the discs.

This was the bike I was going to compete on so has nice goodies like RST Mozzo air shox and carbon fibre bar but is demoted to be my commute bike.

I built up a bitsa bianchi mountain bike that because it could be fitted with discs, was to be the race bike - carbon SIDs and XT four poit disc brakes but I am preferring the ride of the Gary Fisher.

having a rethink over that .....

Don't know much about Bianchi bikes but this is a winner for sure. And I love the colour, looks quality.

Back