1992 Diamondback Axis Team

ovlov440

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all

This is my first post on Retrobike so be gentle with me please!

I have owned this bike from new, although to be fair the only original part existing is the frame. I spent the 2 years building it into the bike that you see before you now.

The paintwork incidentally was done by 'Spike' - any of you remember the (in)famous Jaffa Orange bike (a Clockwork Orange with lots of Jaffa oranges on it). The text on the frame and forks was created using hand-cut stencils and sprayed on in pearlescent white.

Here is the kit list:

Frame: Diamondback Axis Team - True Temper OX
Fork: Project 2 Triple Butted
Headset: Deore LX with XT bearings
Stem: Controltech
Bars: Azonic Risers
Barends: Coda Babu
Shifters: Deore LX
Seatpost USE Aluminium 420mm
Crankset: Deore XTR with Middleburn/XTR rings and Ti bolts
Pedals: Deore XT
BB: Zero Cro-Mo
Front Mech: Deore XT
Rear Mech: Deore XT with Bullet Brother Chain Device
Front Brakes:Deore LX 'V' brake with brake booster
Rear Brakes: Deore XTR with brake booster
Front Wheel: Trek System 3 hub (32 hole) with Mavic 217SUP Rim
Rear Wheel: Hope Ti-Glide (36 Hole) with Mavic 217SUP Rim

I used to have an AMP F3 fork on this and stupidly got rid of it years ago (on the lookout for another one if anyone is interested in selling!) The bike is light and responsive and even has the original Specialized Hardpack 1.5 tyres on it (no-one seems to make a good 1.5 amberwall tyre any more)

Well thats me.

Ade

Attachments

• Bike1.jpg
    Bike1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 3,962
  • Bike2.jpg
    Bike2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 3,961
  • Bike3.jpg
    Bike3.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 3,959
  • Bike4.jpg
    Bike4.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 3,961
Nice :)

Personally id either use riser bars and lose the bar ends or lose the riser and use flat bars....

But hey, were all individual :D

Looks good though

Cool! DIY decals.. no one's doing that!

Yep, lose either the bar ends or the riser bar, or this thread will self-destruct in 10....9.....8.....7.....

...did have flat bars on (Ritchey WCS) but they were a little too short - had to go high rise due to the low rise of the stem.....

D-BACK

Cool, looks sweet i remember being just turned 17 and this was my ride..I got it for trade price and it had full 8 speed XTR and TANGE STRUT forks..I have the catalogue somewere with it in....Ill dig it out :D I ended up putting a set of early mag 20's think they were called on my AXIS PRO...

thing near the rear mech - Bullet Bros. Chain Device - hated the noise a DCD made!!

The other 'thing' is a roller to smooth out the turn the cable has to make to enter the rear of the mech - can't remember what is is called - can anyone help with my bad memory?

Ade

ovlov440":2sqwwoix said:
thing near the rear mech - Bullet Bros. Chain Device - hated the noise a DCD made!!

The other 'thing' is a roller to smooth out the turn the cable has to make to enter the rear of the mech - can't remember what is is called - can anyone help with my bad memory?

Ade

Rollamajig.

I always loved those chain devices although BITD I went for an uprated spring instead - anyone remember them?

Back