Ragley TI Build (caution some viewers may find offensive)

Re: ti ragley

Stephen of Cardiff":2sigsz6u said:
just had another gander at your pics and it is a lush machine you have assembled there... :)

Thanks Stephen.

Basicaly, I had a 2008 Orange 5 SE with top notch parts, I bought the TI frame frame and put all the components on the Rag, then sold my 20" SE frame on ebay for £850 !!!!

Just changed the bars and stem to Nukeproof with some 760 long bars, its ride is unbelievable and like nothing else. The control is great and the "surge" when you put the pedal down rockets you up hills.

Kev

ti ragley

i think brant richards designed some ti bars for nuke proof...wide risers that are welded..made by lynskey i believe...(just got distracted by their helix tubing!) i'd love to eventually get my lucky strike titaniumed up to the max!

Suburbanreuben I do agree with you when you say about the bushes links bearings and so on, you are bouncing around on front and rear suspension allday, when you dont really have to and especially in winter with all the muck and grit, and to service fox forks is £200 per year plus a rear shock to service is £100 every year, and if you wear out a front pair of 32 rlc's thats nearly a grand to replace come 2011.
Atleast with a hardtail there is only 1 cost and what i have found with my Ragley is that you dont actually have to have a mega expensive fork on to feel good like you have to on a full sus, i bought a set og Rockshox Revelation 140mm race from Chainreactions for £280.00 ( rrp 400 ) and the ride feels as smooth as an expensive fox full sus set up :LOL:

and...the 'surge' you described...last weekend almost got up the other side of a rocky decent in the big ring! (about 250-300m of rocky ascent) the last 100m had to drop into the middle but the ti frame really seemed to 'carry' the energy and momentum...(and i'm a good 15lb's over weight and not off-road fit)

Is the new 2011 Ragley Ti the same? as i have read something somewere with the testers that the backend was fairly stiff and they may slightly change it?
Although they have gone the other way with the Bluepig and stiffened the rear end up for 2011!? :cry: OUCH

Stephen of Cardiff":2pwa8spj said:
and...the 'surge' you described...last weekend almost got up the other side of a rocky decent in the big ring! (about 250-300m of rocky ascent) the last 100m had to drop into the middle but the ti frame really seemed to 'carry' the energy and momentum...(and i'm a good 15lb's over weight and not off-road fit)

What Ti have you got Stephen of cardiff?

a 2001 airborne 'lucky strike' 19 inch frame built up with largely SLX, mechs, shifters, chainset, discs, (XT hubs, DT spokes, XC 717 rims, 2.2 mountain king chilli compound) and ritchey WCS carbon bar and seatpost, ritchey WCS stem and barends, 2006 reba race fork, SDG bel air ti, yeti grips err...WTB grease guard headset...i think thats it.

had it built up as a surprise for my 40th last year...broke my hand in two places two days before i got the bike go carting! always had a thing for ti but never thought i'd be able to afford one.

Hi Stephen,

There is a lad down my Avenue with a very nice retro Airborne TI, he flys past my house 2-3 times a week with 2 blokes, one on a nice Cotic Soul and one on a Soda TI !. All, very nice machines!...only now to be out-blinged by my Rag :LOL:

I think the surge and ease of climbing is partly due to the lighter weight of my bike, but also due to the change of geometry / ride position from my previous full susser. The shorter stem and HUGE bars have completely changed the ride feel to one of unbelievable control on rough ground, easier and more controlled cornering and a far more relaxed and comfortable ride position. I totaly get this bike now!, when I had the long stem and 680 Easton CNTs it felt too skwat and far too much XC.

Yes I think Shedfire have designed some TI handlebars, they look interesting ?, Lynskey also do a beautifull TI stem....if you can afford it !

If you are a tall lad, and like you say a "TAD" overweight ;) like me, consider longer and slightly higher riser bars ?.... check out my new cock pit on the pics below.

Attachments

• Ragley 019 [640x480].jpg
    Ragley 019 [640x480].jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,890
  • Ragley 021 [640x480].jpg
    Ragley 021 [640x480].jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,888
  • Ragley 018 [640x480].jpg
    Ragley 018 [640x480].jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,888
  • Ragley 020 [640x480].jpg
    Ragley 020 [640x480].jpg