need a tool to remove an old Stronglight

oldgit

Retro Guru
Just picked up an old CB and it has a nice alloy single chainset. However the crank extractor I have is too small as is my crank bolt spanner.
Can any one help?

It's an old Stronglight. Not sure of the model, but it's alloy with a removable ring/spider.

Fortunately I do know some locals who have the tool, but if I hadn't known them I would have been stuck with the same issue :? Fortunatly there is such thing as Retrobike and possibly someone in UK near you can help you out. Important: Be sure you are using the specific Stronglight puller. Do not use the TA puller. The both had odd size and thread and look quite alike, but they are not.

I have one that you can borrow - I am in Hemel if you wanted to drop by and collect.

Edit - I thought I had a spare body that you could have, but just checked in my toolbox and I had remembered incorrectly. It's the other part of the tool which I have spare, which isn't much use.

However, you are still welcome to borrow the complete tool.

I have PM'd you with my contact details if you want to follow up.

I was a lightweight retailer mid 50's 60's. Used to get these brought in with the crank remover thread stripped.
Take the end bolts out, slacken the adjustable bracket cup perhaps 3 turns. Pack out the space behind the crank, chainwheel side. I used a selection of open end spanners. Then hit the end of the axle with whatever can be used as a drift, and light hammer.
Never failed.
The crank thread stripped because the remover was not screwed in tight.
I used to screw the remover bolt in firmly, and give a light tap with a hammer, tighten the bolt again and repeat.
Hope this helps.

Well sadly the tool didn't work as the threads were too far gone.
However the tip about knocking the axle out worked first time, so I will be able to re use this old chainset.
Thanks everyone.

OG, glad it helped. Most of the "retro" on here is well into the future for me. As you probably guessed, I'm fairly ancient. (77).
We (UK road racers)started using 49D about 1955ish, after the french tourists found them OK. Always used TA rings with milled teeth though, far superior to the soft pressed Stronglight.

Back