Anyone got a Jake the Snake?

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Not sure if this is a Road or MTB question so I'll hedge a bet and stick it here as I use my cross bike more like an mtb than a road bike.

Anyway...

Am interested to know if anyone has one of these? Especially the newer Scandium frames? As I want to know how light/ not light they are...but interested in how the older ones compare too.

Anyone?

I've got one of the red and blue ones from a few years ago. Not sure about the weight, "pretty light" seems to be appropriate, but I use it as a commuter, so it has a saddle pack with basic tool kit, and slime innertubes on it.

If you must know, I can try to remember to weigh it tonight.

In summary - it's pretty light. Not as light as my road bike, not as "twitchy" handling either. But lighter, and faster (handling) than my mountainbikes.

well I've got a Cannondale crosser with a headshock and it's not that light by my reckning. Obvioulsy the headshock doesn't help and I know they aren't road bikes and are tougher, but it's about 4lbs heavier than my mtb and that just seems daft.

So I quite like the look of a scandium one with carbon forks and Dura Ace etc.

Just wondering if it's gonna be much lighter? As the Dale hasn't got bad gear on it.

Reckon the Dale is 25lbs.

Hmm.

Interesting!

I've been given the green light for my Bike-To-Work bike from work today and the Jake is on my short list, would really like a Lemond Poprad but I think it would be easier to buy a crate of steamy rocking horse poo :(

Sorry for the slight hijack :oops:

Stu

Stu,

interesting yourself...

would you keep me informed as to how it goes with the bike to work scheme and buying a Jake as I am having exactly the same idea.

Poprad's the same price (ish) (IIRC) as this year's Jake and a sight nicer built to be honest. Those Avid cable discs properly stop you too. Only problem is that it ain't light. I nearly bought a poprad last year and it weighed in around 25lbs too.

Can't help thinking a scandium dura ace specced carbonised jake will be about 21lbs.

Anyway, would be interested to know how you get on with the scheme.

:D

Can warmly recommend the Focus cross bikes from Wiggle too. Have one myself (Team model from '06, with the Record group taken off and a 9-speed Ultegra group fitted instead). Can weigh it if you want to know figures.

Saw the new Pinarello carbon cross bike this week, if you're feeling flush!

dbmtb":1yeyw0rv said:
Can warmly recommend the Focus cross bikes from Wiggle too. Have one myself (Team model from '06, with the Record group taken off and a 9-speed Ultegra group fitted instead). Can weigh it if you want to know figures.

Saw the new Pinarello carbon cross bike this week, if you're feeling flush!

sure, thanks. would be interested to know a weight. Not getting obsessed about all this, just think the house of Wu needs two cross bikes and the second one's gonna be lighter!

Focus Cross bike - Weight 10kg/22lbs.
Had it down to 21lbs with Fulcrum 3s and Schwalbe CX Pro 700X30 tyres.
(and it went like dung off a shovel)

Spec

'06 Fulcrum 5s
6500 Ultegra Stis, rear mech, 12-27 cassette, chain
6600 Ultegra Cranks, BB
7600 Dura Ace Front Mech
XTR gear cables
Dura-Ace Brake cables
BBB 48/39 chainrings
Middleburn alloy chainring bolts.
Empella Froglegg cantis
Tektro Carbon Crosstop brake levers (extra)
Ritchey Pro O/S bars/stem
ITM Millenium Scandium seatpost
Arione saddle
Look S3L pedals
Conti- 700X35 semi slicks
Mavic Crossmax QR skewers

1257442710_l.jpg

Pic taken at MTB 103km endurance event last autumn.

CX Bikes

I feel Would be far more fun buying an old hardtail and refurbing/building it up into a light courier style hotrod. Surprising how light you can go with choice parts. No need for a front mech for road use, just a single chain ring. Sub 21 pounds would be achievable with rigid forks, at not too much outlay with a bit of shopping around!

Back