Vitus road bike

awonker

Retro Newbie
Hi, I'm building up this frame, but I was wondering what wheels normally came with the full build? The rear axle width is 110mm which seems quite narrow. I have a Mavic MA40 and old school mavic threaded freewheel hub but the axle is too wide. Is it possible to get a narrower axle for this?

link to picture is flickr dot com slash ride-earth slash 4952169984

What a job to look at those photos ..Depending on the frame age it MUST have been set for 120 or 126mm rear axles (Over Locknut Distance ) and If its now 110 something is wrong (bent tubes?) I have never owned a Vitus frame but the seat post slot is very slim indeed and I wonder if the correct post diam is used . Lats

Got any pictures of the frame square-on from the rear? might be more obvious but as above 126 would be more likely and I suspect that is what the hub is spaced at.

Btw very nice pics in that Album - seems you have been busy.

thanks for the messages and kind words about the photos

The width is definitely 110mm which is quite strange. Perhaps it's been bent down from 120.. It definitely had gears because of the changer... I've got an old mavic threaded freewheel hub on mavic ma40 rims. I was thinking about perhaps machining the axle down a bit.

110mm would be strange for a Vitus 979 alu frame.

The seat lug cluster looks like it's been bodged. The top half of the seat lug with the seat bolt has been cut off, and the top of the seat stays has been drilled through to take a bolt and nut.

So maybe the 110mm rear end has something to do this.

I've got an old mavic threaded freewheel hub on mavic ma40 rims. I was thinking about perhaps machining the axle down a bit.

IMO that'll ruin the hub.

i did that

Hi, yeah, previously the seat bracket had cracked beyond repair, somy dad who's been an engineer for 45 years ;) haha, ground one ridable for a start.

I've also inherited an old bates frame, and a moulton mini which are quite nice, I will upload some photos.

Back