Newport Nocturne

mavesyn

Retro Guru
Wondered if any retro bikers are going to the nocturne this coming saturday.
Should be a good night of racing, and one of our own forum members, is entered in the past masters event.

mavesyn":1prfoja2 said:
Should be a good night of racing, and one of our own forum members, is entered in the past masters event.
I might go they have asked my dad to ride

AndyPA":13f0ik21 said:
mavesyn":13f0ik21 said:
I might go they have asked my dad to ride

His old team mate and my training partner Bernard is riding as well. I might try and get there on the way back from Betwys-y-Coed and the OWMTBC.

What's parking like? I've looked at the website and they show 3 car parks but do they get full quickly? How early do you need to be to be sure of getting in?

Questions, questions, always questions.

But sometimes an answer ;)

I haven't been for a couple of years, but it does get busy.
But can't really give info on the car parking.
Just dump the car anywhere. :LOL: ..........

Oh well, if I make it I'll just have to take a chance.

I'll wear my RB jersey for immediate recognition ;)

What's the nocturne like then? I saw a passing reference to it in a magazine last months and thought "that sounds great!" but it's about twenty years since I last watched proper road racing.

Excellent nights racing, lovely weather, excellent chips... :LOL: .
Crowd favourite, was 80 year old John Perks.......
Vets race won by local hero, Les West, despite being in his 60's, he is still seriously fast.
The man in black, gets the style award, for riding a lovely blue, steel framed Colnago.......

I was there!

Wandered around in my RB jersey all night and nobody jumped on me to claim their £5.

Yep, great atmosphere but I only stayed long enough to watch the 'old guys' do their stuff. I'd been out since 6.30am going to Betwys-y-Coed and I still had a fair drive home so left around 9.00pm. By the time I got home I'd done 350 miles.

The Man in Black (Orbeas) did OK - at least he started and finished which is more than some did! I pinned his (and several others) number on. John Perks had the greatest cheer, brilliant! Great ride by Les beating Phil Thomas and it looked quite easily too.

I met several people I hadn't seen for 35-40 years! Had a job recognising each other at first but once we started talking the years fell away! Chatted with Ernie Lightfoot for the first time since before 1970.

Excellent fish and chips (although I had a dead fly in my peas!). Glad I got there early enough to beat the queues.

Heard that it's definitely the last one, is that correct? If so I'm glad I made the effort to get there.

Back