Ragley TI Build (caution some viewers may find offensive)

Neil G":yelyumjo said:
Try it, it's quite an experience..if your quick on a hardtail you can just ride as fast but with far less effort....I found myself hardly on the brakes at all!

I'm scared I might like it and thats a slippery slope.

I like simple things, I view front suspension as a necessary evil and I'm even building a fully rigid bike for winter use 'cos I can't be bothered with the extra maintenance/care that sus forks need when the weather is grotty. Last winter I rode a rigid singlespeed so I didn't have to worry about any maintenance at all.

All those links, pivots and bushings in a bouncy bike needing to be looked after would do my head in.

Do fancy a go though.

I like the look of the new Ragleys! But if I'm allowed 160mm worth of travel I'll have 80mm on the front and 80mm on the rear ;)

However for me the Ti Ragley does stand out against the rest of the off the peg Ti bikes. I really love the simplicity of the design- no gussets clean lines functional cable routing etc.

Russell":2xrnhpvj said:
Neil G":2xrnhpvj said:
Try it, it's quite an experience..if your quick on a hardtail you can just ride as fast but with far less effort....I found myself hardly on the brakes at all!

I like simple things, I view front suspension as a necessary evil and I'm even building a fully rigid bike for winter use 'cos I can't be bothered with the extra maintenance/care that sus forks need when the weather is grotty. Last winter I rode a rigid singlespeed so I didn't have to worry about any maintenance at all.

All those links, pivots and bushings in a bouncy bike needing to be looked after would do my head in.

Do fancy a go though.
Something basic like a Santa Cruz might suit. Only one pivot to go wrong, and guaranteed for life...
I had a Scott G zero for years- hated it, and only ever rode my Kona.
I bought a Salsa 4" full Susser last year, and loved it, but had to sell to fund a Dekerf. Just bought a Santa cruz for medical reasons. we'll see.
There is no reason why a moderately light 4" full susser , with prodiddle an all that ,shouldn't descend AND climb better than a 30lb Hardtail, and be easier on the componentry. You'd still need a certain amount of finesse to get the best out of it though! ;)
But that's probably missing the point...

Re: ti ragley

Stephen of Cardiff":20rawl0y said:
i have to say this is an interesting thread! i'd love to try a full sus...but i'm also finding that my ti bike is more capable than i am...i love all things ti, it's quite a metal! but due to being unfit and coming back to off roading after a good few years off i am struggling to clean sections of trail i used to blitz on a rigid GT ali framed bike 15 years ago! am i right in half remembering that ragley are designed by brant richards? (i think i read that somewhere, but with my red wine habit it's difficult to remember! :oops: )

Yep Brant went from on-one to Ragley and done a fantastic job i must say, I understand some people dont like the burly look, and why would anyone buy one unless they wanted a true HARD hitting monster bike, thats why i bought the Ragley because i have put my full sus away now and love the ride and excitment of the hardtail :LOL: :LOL:

suburbanreuben":1iiw606x said:
Russell":1iiw606x said:
Neil G":1iiw606x said:

Do fancy a go though.
Something basic like a Santa Cruz might suit. Only one pivot to go wrong, and guaranteed for life...
I had a Scott G zero for years- hated it, and only ever rode my Kona.
I bought a Salsa 4" full Susser last year, and loved it, but had to sell to fund a Dekerf. Just bought a Santa cruz for medical reasons. we'll see.
There is no reason why a moderately light 4" full susser , with prodiddle an all that ,shouldn't descend AND climb better than a 30lb Hardtail, and be easier on the componentry. You'd still need a certain amount of finesse to get the best out of it though! ;)
But that's probably missing the point...

I was shocked at the amount of grip everywhere with a full sus, especially on climbs!

The problem i find is with alot of 80mm 100mm travel full suses is that they lean more towards race machines, and not really suited to proper cross country, or is it just me that wants big hitting fun and too fussy, i love my 7 stanes black runs like at Laggan and Fort Bill but do alot more red black runs than downhill so really need a bike that will do everything fairly well. thats why i went with the cross country all mountain cross over Cube Stereo full sus.
i did the black/red run at Kiroughtree the other month on my Pig and that gave me the most pleasure i have ever had on any bike chasing my brother down on his Orange 5 SE full sus

Russell":1bqur0ln said:
Neil G":1bqur0ln said:

Do fancy a go though.

My 5's a 2006 and the pivots + bushings are still going strong ;) Not had to maintain it any more then any other bike.

Back