The Old World MTB Championships or OWMTBC for short...

Who's going from the region, what bikes are we taking and when is everyone getting there?

I'll be taking Parkpre Pro 825, Rockhopper Comp 1989, and the Alpinestars Cro-mega LX for obvious reasons ;)

I'll be heading down straight from a night shift on Friday morning, hopefully i'll be able to get a few hours kip before my Swedish :? room mate arrives.

I've got a car full of stuff for the MSR/alpinestars presentation as well as the alpinestars ti-mega in XTR form for Concours and Chips / Saturday ride duties and my alpinestars cro-mega SS for Friday ride duties. I was hoping to bring the Raleigh Dyna-Tech down in some form, but doubt i've got the room in the car tbh.

I'm really looking forward to it, it should be a weekend to remember. I had a look at the OWMTBC thread on the mtb chat forum earlier and it looks like there are some amazing prizes to be won too. Orange look to have done us proud.

I think Neil has sent out 'Rider Packs', but if like me you ain't received one the hotel is situated on the A5 through Betws-y-Coed. Full details can be found below:

http://www.glanaberhotel.com/

I believe the schedule is as follows:

Friday afternoon/evening - social ride; welcome BBQ, Alpinestars/MS Racing display; MTB Q and A with a world class rider; Jenga competition; retro pub quiz; beer....

Saturday - paired trials challenge; lunch; bike and rider 'scrutineering'; XC paired hillclimb; XC special stages; prizegiving; beer...

Sunday - social rides

I'll be bringing a pair of 1992 Saracens for this one, assuming I get the Traverse finished tomorrow.

Your Swedish room mate won't be there until late afternoon/early evening Mark, so you'll be able to get some kip in.

I'm especially looking forward to defying the known laws of physics in the Jengathon.

I'm only bringing the one bike and that's the Parkpre.
I will be coming down Friday morning with Crud but I have no idea where and when to meet, anybody know?

I reckon you'll just need to find the bar at the Glenabar Hotel and look out for the beer swilling blokes in bad lycra. If the drinking hasn't yet begun then I believe the bunkhouse is just next door.

You never know though, MrK might have laminated some signs up for the OWMTBC lounge and be there with EdEdwards to welcome you with a motivational speech...

Friday evening - we will be camped out in the corner of the park, opposite the railway station - look for banners, a tent and lots of old bikes...

We'll be setting up from 5pm - looking to have everyone in place by 6pm.

Saturday arrivals - registration will be over breakfast or in the Glan Aber Residents Lounge from 9.30-10.30.

First event is the Paired Shopper Trials which will start around 11am.

We expect the riding to be done and dusted by 5pm with prize giving, Retrobike Pub Quiz and after party in the Glan Aber from 8pm.

See you there!

OW Crew

Thanks for the info Neil, i'm going to try and join the early bird bimble depending on how quickly Crud can get ready as he flies in from Germany late tonight!

I'm also thinking of bringing the mediocre Dawes along too but it may fade away with all the bling that’s going on show. Where are you guys leaving/storing your 2nd/3rd/4th bikes while out riding?

Can't wait :D

Iam going to head down sometime in the morning,travel time is about 2 hours or just under so should be there around lunch time.

If anyone is planning on getting there around lunch pm me and we can exchange numbers etc.

I think there is storage in the basement where bikes can be left whilst we are out and during the night.

i wont be able to ride due to being quite ill but i will come down sometime with my finished parpre pro 825 after the early friday brimble.

Back