Newbies certainly not welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
GO AWAY AND DONT COME BACK!!!! PAH!

Pesky bletherer.

Grumble Grumble.

This ere sight is for Retrobikers not you Arfur Dayley types!

I know I shouldn't feed the troll, but..

I don't have a problem with you trying to sell at a profit. I refuse to believe that nobody on here has ever tried to do likewise. I do think you're not the brightest bulb on the tree expecting people on here to cough £200 for something you've just told everybody you bought for £80. What did you expect?

Where I really get lost is the fact that, with an incredibly low post count you start running off at the mouth and being openly agressive. And having done that still expect people to buy from you.

If you don't like the forum just leave, it's not going to change just because you don't like it. Every forum is, in effect, a democracy. It's not that it's members necessarily get a say in the way it's run. It's more that if the members don't like the way a forum is run they leave. A forum that isn't run the way the members want won't have any members left after a while.

From your complaint it appears as if you think this is a democracy. If that's the case please register your vote now. With your feet.

Ive recently noticed what I can only describe as speicalist traders on a few bike forums. There was a similar case on the ctc forum involving some retro gear at a great price, which was then ebayed at a vastly inflated markup. I seem to recall the seller even boasting he had several sets of the article.

In the past, Ive replied to wanted ads and let things go at well below market price, some even free on the grounds that I wont need it and someone wants to complete a project and a enjoy a bike with my kit on it. I'd be very reluctant to do that now, unless it was a known forum contributor, who was part of the "family". Even some of these guys seem to be building bikes up and then selling on. Maybe the building part is the fun, but I like to see a bike ridden and enjoyed for some length of time before being sold on. I would feel very used to have supplied (at a favourable price) a part which then appears on a bike being immediately sold off.
the net effect is that the price of retro stuff is being hiked up and for me, I have little interest in owning a concours machine, its to do with a bit of nostalgia, durability and the possibility of owning a good bike at a fraction of the cost of modern stuff. Its now getting to the point, where its becoming just as economical to buy modern stuff online, which is a shame.
Ive also given stuff to some of the good guys on here and never even had an acknowledgement or thanks :cry:

rant over, feel better now ...

My advice would be to hang around the forum and find out how it works before going with all guns blazing. I hovvered round for quite a while before getting involved.

With very few exceptions I've been welcomed by other forum members and have discovered the joys of accepting and giving "karma" items passed on for free or at low cost to help others.

Like the lads say - passing on at cost give or take a little for postage is fine - for everything else there's ebay!

Dajwid, will you continue to be an active member of this forum or is your presence just a 'one-off' vehicle based on the buying / advice / attempted selling of this bike?

Don't panic everyone, Problem in over.

Many thanks to the 'Sensible' member for his Email, offer for the bike, I'm pleased its all going to a good home, I hope he pleased with it.
Picking it up tomorrow.

As he said, what an overreaction, things in life are simple one man's bargain
is always looked upon with jealousy. I got a bargain so did he, both happy.

I belong to a number of Classic car forums, we also give away parts, advice and time. We strive to keep ours and others classic Italian cars on the road.
Only last week a newbie was given a classic Fiat 'only paid £150. Another member bought the car off him, was very happy with the purchase, another car was saved. How much did he pay? £1250.

We didn't attack the guy. Maybe we are just a different type of forum though.

To my bikes new owner, see you at 9.00 as arranged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back