100 pushup challenge

Tazio":2u34xmw7 said:
sic_nick":2u34xmw7 said:
We have a 'drop and give me twenty' club amongst the touring crew fraternity which is good fun although nobody else on my crew wants to join up but been looking at the 100 push-up website and a few of the associated ones so count me in.

The only crew people who can do any kind of fit up challenge are the LX crew.

Fact.

True, most of them are the LX crew but there are also Riggers and Stage managers too.

an interesting and welcome side affect is that my moobs are shrinking.

I can wear tight t-shirts and not look, er....?

legrandefromage":1kcd1vdy said:
an interesting and welcome side affect is that my moobs are shrinking.

I can wear tight t-shirts and not look, er....?

You can call them pecs now :LOL:

I failed again today :? my core is still in tatters, I'll try again on friday but I think I'll go back a week.

kaiser":gvps02jx said:
clockworkgazz":gvps02jx said:
and nor do I want to, you going to have a punching competition at glentress too, see who can piss the highest, drink a pint fastest etc.... :roll:

All good ideas, I hope you've bought enough prizes :twisted: .

Apart from the manly aspect (even though its a woman on the website) press ups are a great exercise, good for your core and upper body which can sometimes be neglected by cyclists. The fact someones put a figure of doing 100 on it is simply to present a target (and it probably comes from schoolboy 'how many pressups can you do') and doing it in a group can spur you on to finish the program. I'm sure quite a few folks have started doing press ups in the morning only for it to fall by the wayside after a few days. Think of it as a blend of willy waving and good exercise, and thats the reason its quite popular.
As a target and motivational tool, maybe it's worthwhile.

But for the exercise reasons stated? Not really.

Getting good at doing 100 pushups is only good for being able to do 100 pushups. And if that's the goal, just for it's own sake, then fair play.

But after a certain point, you've gone beyond the concept of working on strength or muscular development, but not far enough for endurance (nor would that really make sense for such a localised exercise, unless it had direct carry-over to some other sport or physical pursuit).

And as somebody who's been involved in physical culture (exercise, boxing, lifting weights) for decades, I hate this trendy term "core" :-(

Neil":2rxf3i3o said:
kaiser":2rxf3i3o said:
clockworkgazz":2rxf3i3o said:
and nor do I want to, you going to have a punching competition at glentress too, see who can piss the highest, drink a pint fastest etc.... :roll:

All good ideas, I hope you've bought enough prizes :twisted: .

Apart from the manly aspect (even though its a woman on the website) press ups are a great exercise, good for your core and upper body which can sometimes be neglected by cyclists. The fact someones put a figure of doing 100 on it is simply to present a target (and it probably comes from schoolboy 'how many pressups can you do') and doing it in a group can spur you on to finish the program. I'm sure quite a few folks have started doing press ups in the morning only for it to fall by the wayside after a few days. Think of it as a blend of willy waving and good exercise, and thats the reason its quite popular.

Getting good at doing 100 pushups is only good for being able to do 100 pushups. And if that's the goal, just for it's own sake, then fair play.

But after a certain point, you've gone beyond the concept of working on strength or muscular development, but not far enough for endurance (nor would that really make sense for such a localised exercise, unless it had direct carry-over to some other sport or physical pursuit).

And as somebody who's been involved in physical culture (exercise, boxing, lifting weights) for decades, I hate this trendy term "core" :-(

Were you ever hugged as a child? This is our last bastion of manly men doing manly things, please try not to burst our bubble and try and join in perhaps. Maybe you drank 10 beers last night, or ate a whole Chicken Phal without water or something....

legrandefromage":1rpph52k said:
Neil":1rpph52k said:
kaiser":1rpph52k said:

Were you ever hugged as a child?
Oh, just come out and ask it, FFS...

"Do you have happy memories of your childhood?"

Don't go all wimpy on the Freud thing ;-)
This is our last bastion of manly men doing manly things
Um, ok, then.

Thing is, though, it's not that manly, really, is it? Given that practically all, here, ride manly, rough terrain, on manly, men's bikes, then 100 push-ups, isn't really that manly, man.

It's more, well, pointless really, man, in a manly way, though, of course.
please try not to burst our bubble and try and join in perhaps.
Well the squat thing - that made more sense.

Or running - say a mile in a decent time. What's a decent time, these days? I'm not expecting people to start running ;-) out and buying sub-4 vest and shorts, like.

Or jump rope / skipping for 20 minutes - bonus points for double-unders.
Maybe you drank 10 beers last night, or ate a whole Chicken Phal without water or something....
Maybe.

due to dodgy knees I cant run, although I can sprint so watch yourself there.

As raiding villages, raping the women and livestock is out these days, 100 press ups is the most benign thing to be doing when you look alarmingly like a Viking in the 21st century.

Now join in with the drinking games or you're out and back to your muesli

There are still parts of Scotland where raiding and pillaging is ok, its called Fife.

Completed todays set and allegedley I have 4 weeks to hit the 100 :eek: :shock:

Back