Commuting rant.

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I commute to and from work by bike – no massive distance – but it starts and ends the day well IMHO.

My ride takes me along the back of a college (cycle/footpath) – which for the last six weeks has been fantastic as they were all on leave. Now they are back, apart from the obvious eye candy(?!), it has become more and more frustrating weaving through the bag swinging, Ipod wearing adolescent’s. :evil: :evil:

As a result I have taken to the roads. Last week I was nearly offed from my bike a hand full of times by, seemingly, blind drivers. :evil: This culminated on Thursday by an old chap cut across me (turning left) so sharply that my front tyre grazed his rear bumper! :shock: :shock:

Once I had composed myself and shouted my frustration at the driver the car behind, driven by a young lady, stopped to check I was okay – see they are not all bad. :LOL:

So what is it with some drivers? I ride responsibley within the confines of the highway code (most of the time!). :LOL:

I decided this morning to chance it with the college students – at least there softer to hit……..

Rant over.

Blood pressure returning to normal.

Weight off shoulders.

At least until tonight……… :shock:

:D :D

I know what you mean. Last Friday i had two car doors open in front of me, then a man ran in front of me from behind a bus. But just as i was nearly safe to work a man was hosing down the pavement/road which was cobble stones that got me no grip front wheel went from under me landed not too bad just a cut down my leg. At least he asked if i was alright. :roll:
Its a war out there. But I could be stuck on the tube and paying £120 a month for what :twisted:

personally id just get over it, it aint gonna change no matter how many time's you shout, i commute to work every day throu busy cambridge rush hour and have been knocked off many times inc broken fingers, nothing's changed, if ya dont get hurt then its no biggie , have a rant and get on with it, as a driver i hate cyclists and as a cyclist i hate everyone!

:D

i commuted across bristol for a year (horfield to clifton) and to be fair it was mostly quiet roads, i had a few small problems but nowt major. i did split a rim hopping a kerb to get away from a clio, but the rim was on its last legs anyway

Commuting by bike can be a risky business.

People generally aren't alert at 7:30 and 17:00 or whenever you commute - they're generally busy listening to the radio / fretting about the kids / half asleep.

Like kase says best not to worry about it. have numerous close calls on my 3 mile ride through Leamington. Que sera sera.

I used to commute in Edinburgh, at least one actual collision a year,

Worst one was doing around 25-30 on the flat when a car travelling in the opposite direction turned right in front of me.

Luckily I landed on the roof - my feet caught on my handlebars.

I shattered the windscreen with my elbow, managed to walk away - the bike didn't - it needed new forks but not too much considering.

I started Cycle Couriering a liitle while later but decided the risk was not worth it after about 2 weeks.

Stick Legs":5uv55hc5 said:
Posted on this site befoire but still good:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tibsnjoan/Big.html

A manual for life... :LOL:

So true. I like the bit about cycling naked :shock: Not to be done in the winter. But i think the police may have a word with you ;)
Certainly very true when it comes to cycling in London. Think BIG. Plus you can always come here and let off steam :D Don't let those repressed feelings stay down let them out. You will feel better for it

I commute by bike, train and on foot all the same daily journey and I have to say the most dangerous of the three for me is the walking part. People on bikes in London...boy can some of them be stupid.

I don't think these people are cyclists, more people on bikes.

iPod on, wrong way up a one way street, across intersections without looking or listening, with no protection on and wobbling about in completely the wrong gear on a machine that won't stop due to the fact that it's brake cables are not connected...genius.

You need extra sensory perception to walk about in London just to avoid these catastrophes waiting to happen. :roll:

But, what can you do...just keep an eye out and move on.

:D

Back