GT STS-1...with pics

Simon.V

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

Here's a few pictures of my GT STS-1.

I've owned this bike from new, so I guess its been in my possession since 1996/1997, though I can't seem to remember the exact date.

At the time, I was lucky enough to know the men behind Carratti Sport in Bristol - probably the country's biggest bike importers - which meant easy access to lots of fantastic gear. In fact, I remember riding my local loop on one of the first RTS-3 demo bikes to come into the country....Halcyon days indeed.

Anyway, this STS has been hanging on my wall for a few years now, so I decided to give it a clean up. Despite its original price tag, it hasn't actually been used a lot as you can probably see.

There are only 2 things that are wrong with it....

1) The upper bolts that hold the rear shock are not correct (I replaced the rear shock with a new one as it had got damaged and the original bolts had to be drilled out)...I'll get new ones from Goldtech.
2) There is a ticking noise coming from the front hub. More an annoyance than anything else, so I guess I'll get it serviced at some point.

The spec (pretty much unchanged from new) is as follows:

96/97 GT STS-1 16inch Frame
Rock Shox Super Deluxe Rear Shock (brand new - original died)
Judy DH Front Forks (with canti brace) fitted with SpeedSprings
XTR Seat Post
XTR Chainset
XTR Octalink Bottom Bracket
XTR Rear Cassette
XTR Rear Mech
XTR Front Mech
XTR Brake Levers
XTR V-Brakes
Tange Cartridge Headset
Syncros Cattleprod Stem
Club Roost "Go Fast" Bars
Sachs 8 Speed Twist Shifters (new grips)
Flite Titanium Rail Transalp Saddle
Mavic 217 SUP Rims
Hope Titanium XC Hubs
Kore Skewers (new - same brand, originals misplaced)
Shimano M?? SPD's
Tyres - Rear: Panaracer 2.1 Smoke
Tyres - Front: Panaracer 2.2 Dart

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic9.jpg

pic9a.jpg

pic9b.jpg

pic9c.jpg

pic9d.jpg

pic9e.jpg

Right...Question....I'll never use it so do I sell and start a new project or keep it?

Hope you like....Simon.

Thanks for your comments,

I'd actually forgotten just how nice it looks and how well it rides. I must weigh it and see how it compares to today's standards.

:)

Nice clean build. Is that a 2.2 dart on the front? If so could you be talked in to parting with it? :twisted:

P20":1ru5uoup said:
Nice clean build. Is that a 2.2 dart on the front? If so could you be talked in to parting with it? :twisted:

Thanks.

Yes it is a 2.2 Dart (i put 2.3 on the list...duh!). Sorry, It's not for sale. I remember having difficulty trying to get one of these years ago after my first one wore out. I still think its one of the best front tyres despite being a little heavy and works so well with the Smoke on the back.

Panaracer are/were listing this combo as a retro edition, but I rang them recently and they couldn't advise of any stockists.

retrobikeguy":2dhup89n said:
rob brown":2dhup89n said:
Drooooool :D

Keep it. Deffinately.

Thats 2 of us that think that then :cool:

ekhm.. Three :D

Always liked STS's - for me it is one of the bikes that from just standing at the wall look superfast. I hope I'll get my hands at one someday :cool:

Only thing that could be something else is the headset - in comparison to to beefy headtube of STS looks like shrunken after baaad washing program :LOL: Maybe onZa Mongo or RF Real Seal.

Greets therapy

Only thing that could be something else is the headset - in comparison to to beefy headtube of STS looks like shrunken after baaad washing program :LOL: Maybe onZa Mongo or RF Real Seal.

Thanks for the post.

I see what you mean about the headset. Never really thouhgt about it before. Anyway, as it's the original one from new, I think it would be kind of sad to change it now.

:)

Back