Pace noises

Pace

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Much as I love my RC300 it sounds like a bag of old bolts over the rough stuff.

I've mentioned before on here the disc cable banging around inside the top tube which I still have't solved. I think the general consensus last time was that this was just something to be lived with....any new offers of solutions?

I also now have a creaking noise when powering hard. LBS has looked at the BB/cranks and the frame and can't find anything wrong. It didn't do it from new so I wondered if anyone else had a similar problem?

Or is this just another noise that I have to live with?

Creaking noises on an alu frame when pedalling hard could be so many things couldn't they?

I did have a persistent creak from my RC200 throughout it's life with me and I think I narrowed it down to the seatpost in the frame and that cool, but not that secure screw in Seat collar. Good idea, but as you tightened it, it lifted from the seat tube slightly. Anyway, think that was the source of the sound. NEver broke though, so not all bad. :)

True - with the RC300 I do worry about the bonding of the carbon seat tube to the alu though. Doesn't seem to be the source of the creaking but it is hard to tell...

not that i'm particularly sold on gluing carbon and alu together, I'd be more worried that Pace always seem to hold these things together with a tiny grub screw (see RC31's). Always look at mine and think...one day...

but that's a bit glass half empty isn't it... :roll:

so maybe just look at the bb. It's bound to be that.

:D

You could fill the top tube with that expanding foam stuff?

You'd never get the outer cable out (or a new one in) but at least it would stop the cable rattling around.

Sorry, that's not very useful is it!

Maybe more useful ?

If the cable in the top tube runs inside outer cable could you not just have a longer cable run and push the excess length inside the toptube? Push enough extra cable into the top tube so that it starts to try and coil up a little and presses against the sides of the tube in a couple of places stopping it moving.

If it's fairly tight at the moment it might be vibrating like a guitar string inside the tube as you go over bumps ?

Its the rear disc hose that's inside the top tube so its not that flexible - but running a longer cable isn't a bad idea as i think it is pretty tight and bouncing around like a guitar string like you suggest..

When the LBS investigated this creaking noise did they actually go as far as taking the BB out of the shell ? I'm assuming it's an old style tapered BB axle? Could be the BB body creaking in the cups ?

Is it definately coming from the cranks / BB area ? Does the noise persist when you ride out of the saddle ?

Two ways I would approach curing a mysterious creak:

1. Swop the pedals and test, then crank arms and test, then BB and test. Riding the bike after each stage until the offending component is identified. Unfortunatley for this you will need spare parts.

2. Take the whole lot apart, clean properly and re-assemble with plenty of grease where necessary. Don't put any grease or lubricant on the BB axle when fitting the cranks. Reassemble and cross fingers.

Hope this is of help.

My Rc200f8 can usually be relied upon to be squeaking/creaking in the following places:

seatpost clamp - bit of fork grease both inside clamp, and underneath clamp, also make sure clamp/frame bolt is copperslipped too
seatclamp/saddle rails
BB
chainrings (usually outer/middle ring - check all bolts tight and copperslipped)
handlebar /stem clamp

and just to be on the safe side.... ATAC cleats sometimes cause the squeak (check tightness on shoe)

...oh and if you have cured all the noises, don't tell anyone. Sure fire kiss of death... "I've just stopped my bike creaking"...next ride squeak creak squeak creak after 1 mile

Back