Laurent Fignon RIP

It is very sad, I was hoping he might have managed to hold on for some time longer.

RIP Laurent, you were an inspiration in your day - especially to those of us who wore spectacles.

Just read the news, absolutely appaling! The Professor was my first cycling hero. His battle with Hinaut in 1884 Tour was epic, and who can ever forget the 1989 Tour? Everyone instinctively thinks of the final stage TT into Paris, but the last week of the race was brutal with Fignon, Lemond and Delgado all going for it. Still one of the youngest Tour winners, and a winner at the first try too IIRC.

Having said that, his most courageous performance was certainly at this year's Tour when he managed to commentate most (not all) days for France 2. I didn't register at first whose voice you could barely hear at times, but when the penny dropped it gave me an even deeper respect on top of the teenage adulation.

I still have my old Systeme U jersey tucked away somewhere. If only I could still fit into it I'd wear it as a tribute tonight ...

Very sad news. :(

I agree, he was a great inspiration, particularly for his barnet, his specs and showing that sports stars could be intelligent.

I remember him as part of a golden era of truly inspirational riders: Fignon, Hinault, Kelly, LeMond, Millar, Roche.

After all these years, I'm still gutted about him losing to LeMond and I'm convinced history will somehow re-write the outcome :LOL:

I just have heard the news on radio…
A great champion with a very strong mind.
In France, his friends thought that he was so strong in his mind that he could be stonger than cancer…

I remember him with the white shirt, when he won his first Tour de France.
He loose for 8 seconds against Lemond, but he won a lot of races, like the Giro, Milan-San Remo… 76 victories !

I heard him in the last Tour de france. It was hard to heard his voice…

I was reading of his epic (and sometimes Grouchy) exploits only yesterday. Sad news and just not old enough.

Latest posts

Back