trendy london type bike

Fair enough, but get some drops on there and you won't look like so much of a fashion victim. You can still ride on the flats if you want and will fit through gaps in the traffic much more easilly. It will also give you more hand positions for when you're really honking. OK so I know you haven't got any real hills in London, but it's still useful.

Kind of reminds me of what I intend to do with my freebie Raleigh Elan. Single speed/fixed flip flop, no braze ons, black paint (natch), fatter tyres and flipped north road bars (or similar).

For the "trend fixie" look, you also need:

much narrower bars, cut down at the inner end of where the grips are now.

a five-solid-spoked front wheel in white or some other bight colour.

a rear wheel with a very deep section rim and normal spokes, also in a bight colour but different from the front.

all black tyres or some other colour combination.

double toe straps and toeclips.

the saddle needs pointing down.

Also you need track ends, but that would be a job for a frame builder.

And anyway, these 'Noddy' bikes are not "London type", they're everywhere, worldwide, I don't think they started out in any one place.

fiks":1x9a2168 said:

a rear wheel with a very deep section rim and normal spokes, also in a bight colour but different from the front.

And anyway, these 'Noddy' bikes are not "London type", they're everywhere, worldwide, I don't they started out in any one place.

If anything the trend fixie look started in New York, but London's fashionista have taken it to a level beyond anywhere else. Burberry pads on the top tube?! Stupid twisted spoke patterns? Deep section rims painted lairy colours? Eight inch wide straight bars (usually horribly expensive Nitto ones cut down)? Only in London will you find them altogether on the same bike, ridden by some weirdly dressed pillock who claims his mount is a retro track bike.

The odd thing is that back when bicycle couriers back in London first seemed to get heavilly into fixed wheel as a trend the chosen mount was usually an MTB. Yes it was fully rigid and flat barred, but so were all MTBs back in the eighties. Then the trend for retro track bikes drifted across the Atlantic. Then at some point it seemed that a competition to build the stupidest bike began.

I really can't see the point in any bike where any particular fashion statement takes precedence over functionality.

GarethPJ":1ovyxq1a said:
fiks":1ovyxq1a said:

And anyway, these 'Noddy' bikes are not "London type", they're everywhere, worldwide, I don't they started out in any one place.

If anything the trend fixie look started in New York, but London's fashionista have taken it to a level beyond anywhere else. Burberry pads on the top tube?! Stupid twisted spoke patterns? Deep section rims painted lairy colours? Eight inch wide straight bars (usually horribly expensive Nitto ones cut down)? Only in London will you find them altogether on the same bike, ridden by some weirdly dressed pillock who claims his mount is a retro track bike.

The odd thing is that back when bicycle couriers back in London first seemed to get heavilly into fixed wheel as a trend the chosen mount was usually an MTB. Yes it was fully rigid and flat barred, but so were all MTBs back in the eighties. Then the trend for retro track bikes drifted across the Atlantic. Then at some point it seemed that a competition to build the stupidest bike began.

I really can't see the point in any bike where any particular fashion statement takes precedence over functionality.

All scary stuff.
Im sticking to steel and gears.

I do wonder why the fixed/singlespeed/call it what you will trend seems to generate so much hate? I would have thought that anything that gets people into using a bike for transport is a good thing?

What you have to understand is that some of the people on here are fashion victims themselves. Many of the people on here ride retro bikes as a practical proposition. Others ride them because they are trying to make some sort of fashion statement. Anybody who follows one trend tends to be violently opposed to any other trend. Mods and rockers?

<SHIELDS>

I do wonder why the fixed/singlespeed/call it what you will trend seems to generate so much hate? I would have thought that anything that gets people into using a bike for transport is a good thing?
x2 on that - it's different if someone's taken a Hetchins or suchlike and ground off all the braze-ons before giving it a rattlecan flouro respray, but otherwise where's the harm?

yeah fair play to the fakenger trend, we can laugh at their not-really-track-bikes and silly handlebars but they are one of the main reasons cycling is so popular again, kinda like how punk made rock & roll popular again, and how hip hop brought back the funk to urban music. The bottom line is the bikes look clean yet customised and that's the main appeal. Whatever it takes to get people out of their cars is a good thing. Just don't get me started on some of the riders actual 'riding techniques' (running red lights etc.) which make non-cyclists hate all cyclists.

Back