SKYE: 30th April - 1st May ?

that looks easy, there is a harder hill at the back of dundonald castle down here, anyway those roadie types don't know what hill are ;)

therealkw15":2d24hfa0 said:
If you're up at Skye, it would seem churlish not to head towards the Applecross peninsula and tackle Britain's Hardest Climb (according to Cycling Weekly, and www.salite.ch):

I used to live in Applecross, that's a fair old climb but I would say it's easier than Glenelg.

I did have to stop on the way down in a Transit van once as the brakes gave up the ghost and were producing a lot of smoke.

I cooked the brakes on my Alfa coming down Applecross about four years ago. Not just any old brakes either- they were race Carbon Metalics which are good for 800deg. Glowing yellow discs at the bottom. Quite scary.

I'd be up for a visit to Skye. Will dig out my 'Donald where's your trousers' record for the occasion.

This makes me want to dig out my photos of Skye from the time I did my first Munro, Sgurr nan Eag, and later that day my fourth, the Inaccesible Pinnacle. Fortunately between the two I had learned to abseil, and less fortunately hung by my elbows over a significant drop on Sgurr Alasdair before clawing myself and the 150' of coiled rope on my back to safety.

It was a hell of a day, and big chunks of it were just shit scary- I wouldn't do that now.

So no cycling along the Cuillin Ridge, please.

Is Skye proposed to be an on road or off road trip ?

Looks good either way and I may rebuild the Peogeot tourer for something like that. The bikes got clearance for 38mm knobblies so could do an on off road mix without much bother :D

I was going to propose a roadie overnighter, Saltcoats/Arran/Oban one day and back the next via Dunoon.

How far is that in actual riding miles, ferries excluded ?

Not sure I could hack 2 days though I'd like to try :roll:

Back