The Golden Stumpy

Reluctant

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Fresh off the bay for a reasonable price.....bow down to The Golden Stumpy :LOL:
The fork's a bit cheesy, but otherwise original and very usable, just needs a clean and tidy up. Well chuffed!

GoldenStumpy001.jpg

GoldenStumpy002.jpg

Yeah, you're right about the forks. I guess it would have come with a rigid fork and as was common back then, loads of people "upgraded" to suspension. If I keep this bike long term, it'll get an RC31, or a Manitou or Marzochhi of some sort. 80mm max I guess.

After a week's ownership the GS now has - a shorter stem, better bar ends, nicer pedals, new tyres and a lovely horsey saddle. It does need a better fork, but I'm not sure what would suit best - any suggestions? And I'm still having a riser bar dilema. Now got a 120mm stem with flat bar. Guessing a 110 or 100mm stem with a low rise bar would feel pretty good too. Input welcomed! :)

GS11006.jpg

I'm pretty sure it was sold with a rigid (triple-butted) fork in matching gold. I don't think it was sold over here with suspension, and in fact according to Bikepedia it wasn't listed in the US after 1996, so it must have been an export special for us old-fashioned Brits.

The stem you have taken off looks very much like the original, so TBH taking it off is a good idea as it was intended to work with the quite short rigid fork. With a longer suspension fork, a shorter stem should certainly work better.

It cost £799 BITD, with LX/XT, LX/X221 wheels and Avid Vs. To quote MBR 'the classic steel bike'.

I see your seller said he bought it new for £1,000, so maybe he had the RST fitted by the shop. I'm sure Specialized wouldn't have fitted that fork. The cheapest M2 had a Judy T2 and sold for £1,099.

Good bargain for £150!

Latest posts

Back