koga miyata randonneur extra 1992...anyone have feedback?

canali

Retro Newbie
I've been offered a slightly used one for US$500 shipped (frame/fork) and am just wondering if anyone has any familiarity with this model for randoneering/CC touring....

I currently have a stock Rivendell atlantis for commuting and touring and was thinking of buying either a used pashley moulton tsr (tsr 27 series if anyone wants to unload) or this bike: the koga miyata randonneur extra, 1992, black/gold with chromed forks....also am considering a lyonsport custom randonneur (by jeff lyonsport in Oregon USA) or a Gunnar Sport (by Waterford bikes in the USA)

just wondering how compared to todays' randonner bikes it's weight and ride (or on the other models i've mentioned, please)
many thanks
joe aka canali
vancouver bc canada

Cant say I know much about these bikes. Any images of the machine?, Im sure someone will offer an opinion then.

Welcome to the forum.

It's a beast of a tourer. It handles like a bus, but load it up and it is great. They are very suited to the Dutch / German style of touring: loads of stuff, 4 panniers etc.

From what I remember it's a bit uninspiring to ride unladen - but that's not what it's for.

hamster":1df50d0k said:
It's a beast of a tourer. It handles like a bus, but load it up and it is great. They are very suited to the Dutch / German style of touring: loads of stuff, 4 panniers etc.

From what I remember it's a bit uninspiring to ride unladen - but that's not what it's for.

Sounds a brute! :D

Koga Randonneur Extra

Hi
I still own a Randonneur Extra in perfect conditions because I did not make as much mileage as intended. If you intend to buy one, take a close look at the holes in the frame through which the cables for gearing and brakes go into the frame. Cracks originating from these holes are sometimes reported, and if these are present, the frame is worthless.

The "Extra" is a great bike which indeed is a bit clumsy if not loaded, but it is stable as a rock when riding with lots of luggage. I am looking to replace the original steer as I prefer a somewhat more erect position.

Regards from the Netherlands,

Walter Jansen

Walter, that cable hole issue was for one particular year in the late 80s. They soon got reinforcements added.

What I have to say about the RandoExtra is that it is a serious randonneur for people who go everywhere. Finishing is neat and the Japanese like always build them flawless, using their own very advanced 3ple butted Spiral Spline tubing. A durable 7 step coat was used. The intention with the concept was that it is stable under heavy load, also when going downhill and it needs to be reliable. It is as light as it could possibly be without doing concessions to everything mentioned before. It should be repairable at the most remote locations. It is not the French style randonneur that more is a fashion item or lifestyle icon, however the Koga still looks very good :cool:

That is what I would say if I were the seller of such an item ;) and I think that covers it well.

Koga Randonneur Extra

Thanks Elev.., mine is build in 1990 and shows indeed the reinforcements you mention. A long day of Google and reading learned that it is not wise to try to replace the original drop handlebars by more comfortable type since old and modern parts are hardly or not compatible.

I assume your remark about the Japanese skills involved in builing Koga Miyata bikes is tongue in cheek, but in case it is not: the bikes are built in the Netherlands (the plant was founded by Ko Gaastra (that's where the KoGa comes from) who uses tubing from Miyata which is indeed Japanese material.

Thanks and regards,

Walter

Walter,

The bikes were (and still are) assembled in Heerenveen, but the full finished frames came from Miyata in Japan.

I did once convert a Vittorio Randonneur from drop to butterfly. It required new levers and shifters (I went from downtube shifters to Rapidfires in the end). Luckily I had all parts ready available, as I have an oldschool MTB collecting habit. They are not very hard to come by however. You probably won't succeed at the lbs, but our largest classified sites are our friends :)

Here a pic of my old trusty Vittorio >>

4405753807_b884805b5b.jpg

Back