1999 Marin Mount Vision Pro

Cool.

I reckon 24lb is a realistic and achievable weight with discs, without sacrificing strength. My Lava Dome is 23.3lb with discs front and rear and the frame is about 5lb I think. Looking at you spec you could already be under 26lb there.

ESI grips are a great way to shave a few grams. Another clever way to save some rotating weight is to use Veloplugs instead of a rim strip. You could also go with a single ring up front and loose the front mech and shifter, or maybe go 2 x 9 with the Middleburn Duo setup. They do 27/40 front ratios now for even less weight.

Do you know the weight of the frame and shock?

What BB and Cassette are you using?

I don't have the frame weight, but shock is 200g and very light.

The BB is Action Tec Ti - none lighter at 146g, and the cassette is M960 XTR.

But, it's not a total exercise in weight saving as the full sussers seem to handle their weight better, although I like lighter responsive bikes.

No finished pics yet, but the weight is 26.42lb complete.

I have yet to start the component weight loss programme with ti bolts. The wheels are running brass nipples at the moment too.

I like the bars, but think they may be a little high, so carbon flats are on the cards.

I had to let this project step aside for a few months and focus my efforts on DIY and new born babies!

I'm back on it now though, and picked up with the bars as first to switch. I got some flat Easton carbon ones weighing in at 130g, as the risers weren't necessary at all.

Next on the list were the brakes. They needed a full bleed (looked like old engine oil was flushed out of them), degrease of discs and new pads. The Hope XC4's are a good caliper with a design born of weight savings, but they're no good for enthusiastic stopping! The rear disc is 130mm as standard, which is just 'joke like', so I had a thought to use a Hope 20mm disc adapter and increase the disc size to 150mm (same as the front), which is far more effective and safer.

Still need to bed the brakes in, so can't really test it too much, but local flattish rides so far are very balanced, fast, stable and encouraging. I can see why they are hailed as the best single pivot designed frame by so many.

I'll post some pics up of the improvements tomorrow sometime.

P1010271.jpg

P1010272.jpg

P1010273.jpg

P1010279.jpg

P1010278.jpg

P1010277.jpg

P1010276.jpg

P1010275.jpg

P1010274.jpg

Love the build, but the only thing i'm not feeling are the Pace forks and i do like those forks! Just not on this build :( Looking great otherwise :)

Scarfacexxx08":3rbd54zu said:
Love the build, but the only thing i'm not feeling are the Pace forks and i do like those forks! Just not on this build :( Looking great otherwise :)

And there's me thinking, "I like the Pace forks on the build".

Nice looking build :cool:

Hi Ben,

Looking well cool :cool: as others have said, it looks very up to date :D

Congratulations on the family scene :D

WD :D

A busy year since finishing this bike, but I was never really happy with it for various reasons. I considered a strip and sell off, but kept hanging on to it just in case I changed my mind.

After a long think, I decided to remove the forks and replace them with some freshly rebuilt Pace RC36 Evo's which I had lying around as spares actually. I'm still playing around with the stack heights on the fork column, as I'm starting to prefer a higher bar than previously.

Then I ditched the 2nd set of Hope XC4's which were practically NOS, but I just couldn't love them. I decided to run V brakes, combined shifters and ceramic rims with XTR hubs.

I quickly compiled the parts needed through here and ebay and set about the rebuild, including new DT db spokes and alloy nipples. As I was working on the bike I switched the tired bearings in the Action Tec BB as these were covered in what looked like dried Lucozade! Also up for a check were all the frame and shock bolts.

The weight has come down to just under 25lbs which is good, but I reckon another 1lb could be found if I was ever fussed. The suspension actually makes it feel lighter anyway. I swear that the wheels are heavier than the Hope disc ones that were on it, as the weight was at 24.6lbs before I changed the wheels over!

I will be giving a full thrashing test in Gisburn next weekend, and can't wait.

photo-8.jpg

photo-9.jpg

photo-10.jpg

photo-6.jpg

photo-7.jpg

photo-5.jpg

Latest posts

Back