1999 Marin Mount Vision Pro

Lovely, Ben. That Marin X-frame really is a looker, in almost any clour scheme.

Obviously a certain silver/yellow one didn't inspire you!

;)

Glad you all approve.

The custom decals were finished on Friday and I carefully stuck them on late last night. There was no way I could finish the day without them on the bike!

Overall, I'm very happy so far, and it's exactly as I planned.

Just put the Action Tec bottom bracket in and switched over the chainrings, spider and bolts so that I have a Black theme for this ride. I'd like a Middleburn big ring in Black, but will have to make do for the time being until one turns up cheap enough.

I must add, that I'm really excited about riding this one. I can't wait to hammer it on my favourite trails whilst they're still dry.

P1000935.jpg

P1000937.jpg

P1000936.jpg

I think that looks ace B. It could easily be mistaken for a "modern" single pivot full susser.

Good job.

Thanks for the comments.

In answer to the comments, I am trying out riser bars for the first time, and I'm putting the position at its highest point, and I'll work back down from there. Potentially, I have a 10mm spacer I can remove, and if that isn't enough, then I will go with flat Easton carbon bars.

My mate said exactly the same thing about it looking like a modern rig too.

I want some Black Action Tec BB cups, but they were not due for production for another month or so, and they were out of stock. An email will be sent later.

I've also started looking at switching some steel for Ti and alloy in the bolt department.

My box of spare Ti bolts has just revealed an M8 x 40mm bolt. That is exactly the size of the top shock bolt.

Seat post clamp is now Ti...

I didn't set out with an exact weight as it can be deceptive with cross country full suspension bikes. I believe it is among the lightest (reputable) single pivot designs about, and I will be very considerate with the parts I choose as a balance of function v's weight.

I rode a 5 inch travel GT last year in anger and it just blew me away at its capability despite the 27-28lb disadvantage. I don't feel I need 5 inches of travel as I still like to be scared of a trail every now and then, but the Marin's ability has been confirmed with numerous wins and rave press reviews on cross country courses. I've deliberately kept the 80mm travel up front to maintain the original race geometry too.

I built the Amp Research B4 with weight in mind, but they are very fragile and not as forgiving or robust as the Marin design.

I've heard some people can get their weight down to 23lbs, but mine's got to be able to brake in the wet!!

Latest posts

Back