Peugeot Super Competition PX10 - what to do?

More pics:

Attachments

• Made In France sticker.jpg
    Made In France sticker.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 9,509
  • Peugeot Bike.jpg
    Peugeot Bike.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 9,509
  • Peugeot Chain Stay Sticker.jpg
    Peugeot Chain Stay Sticker.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 9,509
  • Peugeot Lion Sticker.jpg
    Peugeot Lion Sticker.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 9,509
Few more!

Attachments

• Record Du Monde Sticker.jpg
    Record Du Monde Sticker.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 9,506
  • Reynolds 531 sticker - forks.jpg
    Reynolds 531 sticker - forks.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 9,506
  • Reynolds 531 sticker - frame.jpg
    Reynolds 531 sticker - frame.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 9,506
Final ones:

Attachments

• Stronglight sticker.jpg
    Stronglight sticker.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 9,504
  • Super Competition Sticker.jpg
    Super Competition Sticker.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 9,504
Hi Loramski

You have not found the Peugeot original frame number yet - the one shown in the pics has been stamped after the frame was painted - more recently basically.
Have a look at these pics, scroll down the page and there is my bottom bracket with where you will find the numbers. They are UNDER the paint:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ht=peugeot

It does look like 1979 or 1980 but look at the catalogues because it should have the rear triangle end chromed in some years - to be a PX10. But does th sticker say "Touts tubes..." or " 3 tubes..."? If all tubes, then it is most likely a PX10 - even my model, the PKN10), had only the 3 tubes of 531.

loramski":15eqlgui said:
Hi Slimlavud - thanks for the info - much obliged. To answer your question, no I only got the parts attached to the bike (list below), none of the original stuff.

I'm thinking perhaps a more thorough description of what I've got may help here. Enclosed are a few photos of said bike, to help identify what it is I've got exactly.

The bike hasn't been a runner since I acquired it. However, the frame itself, whilst quite heavily scuffed, and a bit rusty in places, doesn't have any apparent damage otherwise.

The frame is a 58, and I'm 6ft tall so it seems to be the right size for me. The bottom bracket doesn't have a serial number that I can find. However, embossed is "X15" or maybe "X16" - photo attached.

The component list reads:

• Mavic Open 4CD rims which don't look too worn, though could do with trueing. These are built around Shimano 105 hubs. From what I can gather these are half decent rims and the hubs aren't too shabby either, so seriously thinking of retaining these.

These are preety good wheels as I understand it - and of the qulaity that would have been fitted originally if they were available then.

Shimano 600 caliper brakes. These are of the deep drop nut fitted variety. I have it mind to replace these with modern Tektro ones (e.g. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=73&src=froogle)

Tektro brakes are pretty nasty as far as I can see, fit some Shimano 105 gear from the period, ditto the brake levers - or brake handles as you call them!
    Shimano Exage brake handles - these are seriously manky and fit for the bin only!

Huret Shifters - these may be original but if you want to go to indexed and flight deck type, you will need to change these and the cables of course, don't throw them away though, let me know if you don't want them please?

Stronglight chainrings - I can't see from the pics if this is a full Stornglight chainset? If so, it is original and you shoudl leave it on but it definitely looks later to me, if it works, use it!

Shimano 600 front and rear mechs - upgrade to period 105 or later Dura-Ace

Dura Ace Stem and Cinelli bars

From what I can gather, with the exception of the Stronglight chainrings, and maybe the Huret shifters, it appears everything else has been upgraded at some point.

At the moment, I leaning towards getting the frame properly restored (probably Argos as they seem to have a good rep and they are only an hour and a bit away from where I live) and then building it back up with decent components.

Anywho, would be grateful if you can review the pics and confirm my/our suspicion that this indeed a PXN10 from around 1980 - thanks.

Cheers
Martin

Respray and these very good quality decals:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-set-decal ... _500wt_928

and you'll have:

1979_French_PV_PS_PK_water.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi again Slimlavud & LGF

I've cleaned the frame a little more, got a strong torch on the general area of the frame, run my finger in and around the general vicinity and nothing! In the example photo you've pointed me to of your bike, there's no way you can miss the frame number but on my bike it just doesn't seem to be there. Other than the odd paint chip, it's totally smooth. Maybe the stamping machine missed it? ;) Or on the Cycles Peugeot (retropeugeot.com) website, it mentions that in 79/80, Peugeot labelled bikes with a small paper sticker which presumably did away with frame numbers being stamped on the frame. This sounds likely if it is a PXN10 I'd have thought?

I also wonder why someone decided to stamp the X15 on it?

Anyway, I've attached a few photos.

I can't see a sticker that refers to "tout" or "3 tubes". I'm guessing this would be on the Reynolds frame sticker? This one is all broken up and scuffed but I believe it's the one shown in the example sticker below (mine starts "TUBES REN <missing> FOURREAUX DE FO <missing> ET ARRIERES).

As an aside, intriguingly, whilst the chrome forks look like Peugeot forks, the Reynolds stickers are in English!

Finally, there is still a shop sticker on there of Colin Lewis Cycles in Paignton. I'd contact them but I'm wondering what the odds of them having details on a bike they sold from 30 odd years ago are!

Cheers
Martin

Attachments

• BB1.jpg
    BB1.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 2,808
  • BB2.jpg
    BB2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 2,808
  • BB3.jpg
    BB3.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 2,808