My Passoni…

Pierre, that is indeed marvellous. A deserved r.B.o.T.M. win. Any more details on the brand?

Passoni is an italian brand.
Emilio Riva was a road racer of the heighties who decided to build his bike in 1989. Titanium was a new material for building bikes (after Telledyne in the 70ies, and Merlin who begun in the mid heighties…)
A passoni is made with titanium grade 9 (I think, the same alloy than 3A-2.5V) and they make themselve the tubes with a titanium plate. They round it and weld. They use different thickness and a passoni is a real custom bike. They draw the geometry for you, and make the bike stiff or not like you want. The welds are
In 1990, they sale 2 bikes : the top titanio, made for racing, and the primo (mine). A passoni was totally made in titanium : frame, fork, the stem-drop bar combo, seatpost…
Passoni built mtb too.
Here's one of the first picture I found in a 1990 french magazine :

The weld work were ever amazing.

The article of the try of my primo in a french magazine

Other passoni

24pouces":3ray4s3q said:
Passoni is an italian brand.
Emilio Riva was a road racer of the heighties who decided to build his bike in 1989. Titanium was a new material for building bikes (after Telledyne in the 70ies, and Merlin who begun in the mid heighties…)
A passoni is made with titanium grade 9 (I think, the same alloy than 3A-2.5V) and they make themselve the tubes with a titanium plate. They round it and weld. They use different thickness and a passoni is a real custom bike. They draw the geometry for you, and make the bike stiff or not like you want. The welds are
In 1990, they sale 2 bikes : the top titanio, made for racing, and the primo (mine). A passoni was totally made in titanium : frame, fork, the stem-drop bar combo, seatpost…
Passoni built mtb too.
Here's one of the first picture I found in a 1990 french magazine :

The weld work were ever amazing.

The article of the try of my primo in a french magazine

Other passoni

I knew Luca Passoni personally and had some business dealings with company. The more correct history of Passoni dates back to the 70's, according to Luca, the Engineer Riva built his first TRECIA branded bike in 1972 (so alongside Teledyne time-wise). The bicycle business was however only a sideline for Riva. In the article that is highlighted in the French magazine that is linked to, it speaks of Riva then having built for 12 years, hence a 1978 start. Either way, the progenitor of Passoni bikes was built in the 70's.

In 1989, Luca Passoni took over the business and run it until his suicide a few years back. Today it is run by his widow. When 24"'s bike was built, they were still using sheets of titanium which were then formed and welded into tubes. Later the Passoni production was largely farmed out to Bertoletti in Italy who used tubes supplied by outside suppliers with the completed frame then sent back to Passoni for final filing and preparation. Bertoletti now collaborates mainly with legend bike for its titanium bikes: http://www.legendfactory.eu/home/

I have shown my own personal Passoni to numerous titanium frame builders and it takes them all a while to figure out how the whole thing was put to together.

Just a gentle bump because this is so nice. Really would like to own / ride / sniff one of these some day.

It is quite a coincidence that you posted today as I rode my Passoni today. I quite like my Passoni and find the workmanship to be exceptional and the bike very interesting. I must however admit that it does not compare with modern titanium bikes in ride. The newer bikes are simply better riding. If you want a thing of beauty and elegance just to admire, then it is hard to beat but a modern titanium from from one of the big names will ride better.

The all in one bars and stem combo are exceptional in every way but they are very flexible. The same goes for the titanium fork.

Interesting. Are you basically saying a more modern Ti frame is generally stiffer in the right places
such as BB, chainstays, downtube, head-tube, steering axis, but sill offering some of that
in-the-saddle comfort?

I've had very flexy Ti forks made by Magmaa, and they didn't bother me too much and rather enjoyed
watching them flex with every micro bump.

Woz":38n7j8re said:
Interesting. Are you basically saying a more modern Ti frame is generally stiffer in the right places
such as BB, chainstays, downtube, head-tube, steering axis, but sill offering some of that
in-the-saddle comfort?

Precisely

I really like the elegance and the hand machining of the joints. Sort of raw but finished. I never
get overly excited about how Ti frames are typically judged by the welds and they
should be small and look all perfect - this frame certainly gives those who do a lot of food for thought!

Back