Repairing a Fat Chance Team Yo Eddy

Rob1

Old School Hero
I got this bike from a friend who didn't really know what he had. Sadly it had been left out in the rain/crashed and generally abused.

I was a student at the time and was pretty hard up, running my faithful fully rigid 1994-1995 Marin Pine Mountain. I canibalised it (still feel guilty)in order to build the Fat Chance into a mountain-worthy bike. Needless to say I fell in love with its handling and feather-like weight.

Now I've got a job and with a lot of saving/budgeting have built a Seven Sola frame (second hand but new condition) into the closest modern equivalent of a Ti-Fat Chance. It's great but...

I really want to restore my steel Team Yo Eddy frame and forks.

If you're not dead yet, my question is: How can I remove the dent in the top-tube? It's about 0.5cm deep and quite circumbscribed (sorry can't suply photos at the moment). I assume the whole top tube might need to be mitered and replaced? Anyone know who could do this in the UK and replace it with the same steel tubing?

Much thanks in advance for your help and advice...

Dave Yates will do it for you and then you know its been done by a quality frame builder even has a price guide on his website for repairs,

http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/index.html

Check it out he also does a five day frame building course where he will teach you to design and build a frame, class that like wouldnt mind having a bash at that myself like deffo one for the future.

anyway good look and keep us posted :D

http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/index.html

That Dave Yates course thing looks great = however:

700 quid and you dont get food, accomodation OR the materials to make the frame. Thats all extra. You dont even get to paint it!

I think thats a bit tight. :?

The places are pretty much booked out though well up until next year...so it seems like an affordable thing to some..

didnt know it was £700 like, knew he didnt paint it, they will if you pay like but its cheaper to just buy a frame from him. But with that you can say you designed and built it yourself :p

But yeah five days and woul need at least 2k spare to spend the week doing it with having to live and accomadate while you there

Yeh. Just sounds expensive thats all. Thats 700 quid direct into his pocket for x number of people. Not bad work for a week if you ask me.

So 8 people = 5600 quid.

...and the punters have to pay for the welding rods and steel tubes too. And accomodation and food and paint..

Oh but I forgot - you can drink as much tea and coffee as you like.... :? :D

can you send me a pic, me and my mate have started making frames, so poss we can fix it, let me know, it wont cost you much and we want to do repairs aswell, :D

Rob1":243h663t said:
I got this bike from a friend who didn't really know what he had. Sadly it had been left out in the rain/crashed...

Okay, before you start replacing dented toptubes: Have you checked the seattube on rust? FAT seattubes are not so well ventilated, so water that goes in, doesn't go out really well.

Is the toptube structurelly damaged? Maybe filling is enough??

jez-2-many-bikes":24m4p18v said:
Yeh. Just sounds expensive thats all. Thats 700 quid direct into his pocket for x number of people. Not bad work for a week if you ask me.

So 8 people = 5600 quid.

Just look up what most speciality courses in any field you care to imagine will cost you.... And don't forget he has a taxman to pay, like everybody else.

Looks like the going rate to me, to be honest.

Sure it's a lot of money. But I don't begrudge him it.

Elev12k":2bxu7cig said:
Rob1":2bxu7cig said:
I got this bike from a friend who didn't really know what he had. Sadly it had been left out in the rain/crashed...

Okay, before you start replacing dented toptubes: Have you checked the seattube on rust? FAT seattubes are not so well ventilated, so water that goes in, doesn't go out really well.

Is the toptube structurelly damaged? Maybe filling is enough??

I agree, if the dent is shallow & not into a point stress riser then it might be purely cosmetic.

Back