Tubular tyres and wheels

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Hi All,

I'd like to 'pick to your brains' if I may ?

A couple of years ago, I got a flat tyre on my Ellis Briggs. It sported tubular tyres - something that I only discovered following the puncture. I subsequently bought a pair of 'normal' wheels & tyres.

Recently, the same thing happened with my Major Nichols. Sadly, I've no experience of fixing a puncture on a tubular tyre - what does one do in the event of a puncture - is a normal repair kit the thing to use ?

I'm not sure whether to buy some 'normal' (with inner tube) wheels or whether I should have a go at putting on a tubular tyre. Thing is, if I fit a tubular tyre and I get a puncture miles from home, what would I do ?

If I were to buy a pair of 'normal' wheels/tyres, I'd have the problem of what to do with two pairs wheels (I've still got the ones from the Ellis Briggs).

Any advice, gratefully received.

Tubular tyres generally need to be professionally repaired. The tricky part is re-sewing the casing after the repair. You need someone like this:-

Peter Burgin
7, Cortworth Lane
Wentworth
Rotherham
S62 7SB

07833 908485

£9 ( cross tubs £10

As regards punctures, one usually carries a complete tubular under the saddle as a spare and puts it on. Held on partially by the pre-applied glue (that can be used more than once) and partly by the constriction effect of pumping it up.

The big plus is that you don't have to worry about finding the flint in the punctured tyre, as you're fitting a whole new tyre/tube assembly.

As a 'get you home' measure you can use the likes of Vittoria PitStop which is a latex foam in a can that you squirt in which repairs most small punctures and reinflates the tyre. There are also sealants like Tufo or Stans which you inject into the tyre and are pretty good at sealing small punctures. Problem is with both is you can't repair the tyre after.I'd still carry a spare tyre but the chances of needing it IME are pretty remote. Always remember to pre-stretch a tub before use - i.e. fully inflate on a rim and leave overnight - some are pretty tricky to fit unstretched.

Repairing a tub isn't that hard, just be careful when re sewing and use decent waxed thread. Have a go on a old one.

You must be better tham me, Matt - mine always looked like I'd accidentally left a boiled sweet glued to the rim before I put the tub back on. :oops:

When sewing it back up you just have to make sure that you do it really tight, once you've worked out a method for this it's not too hard. If your only going to be using cheap tubs like a vittoria rally then you might as well swap to 'normal' wheels and tyres. If you decide to keep using tubs then most people carry a spare tyre strapped to the saddle in case of a puncture, then they just swap the tyres over. To ensure that the spare tyre stays on you can either carry some tape with you or pre-glue the tyre before you roll it up and attach it to your saddle.

As has been said above, you can repair them yourself with a steady hand and patience/practice.
However, for a completely professional job without the hassle this chap is the best

http://www.tubular-repairs.com/

I always use him for my cross tub repairs and he's always spot on.

Heavy vulcanised tubulars are quite tough to repair, but if you ever experience silks they are quite easy to stitch. Don't open more than about an inch. I used old silks to repair heavier tubulars for training use.
If you haven't ridden on 6 ounce silks on 8 ounce rims with 130 PSI then you cannot condemn them.

Another old roadman's secret is to pump in about an ounce of water, which is 800 times as dense as air.

Keith

Back