Shimano (or other) chain advice

KeepItSteel

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Not sure which forum this should go in but here looks ok...

Ive been using SRAM chains for the last 10 years or so (on MTB's). Easy to remove/change with the power link, nice easy shifting, and most importantly ive never had one snap on me.

This is in contrast to previous Shimano chains which have always been a faff to fit without a 'powerlink' type gizmo. And ive had several snap on me.

Ive now purchased my first half decent road bike, and the first hing id like to change is the chain which is currently a cheap shimano jobby (HG53 I think).
This is more a peace of mind exercise, I just dont trust Shimano.

My questions are:

Have things changed with Shimano?
Do they now sport a quick removal link of sorts?
I have a 9sp set up, so which chain would you guys recommend fitting?

A quick look on CRC offers a bewildering choice and im out of my depth in regards to the road scene.
I want it to be very strong, and ideally sport a powerlink. Silver or Possibly gold, and between £15 and perhaps £30?

Around £30 will get you a good chain. I prefer a rivetted chain and use a proper extractor, I haven't used a quick removal link since my Raleigh Rebel days....

If it any help Ive just fitted a new Shimano chain to my Univega MTB and the quality is very good indeed.

I cant help but feel that the extracted pink/link is always the weakest point of the chain though.

Im fairly heavy, but also have v.powerful legs, and theres nothing worse than a chain going 'ping' midway through a standing power stroke...

It may just be my bad chain joining technique from bitd and some tips on joining a chain would be appreciated, however, for complete convenience I find a powerlink perfect. It makes chain removal/cleaning/refitting so easy.

And more importantly, ive never had one go 'ping'.

Will a SRAM 9 speed chain be compatible with my Shimano road cassette?
I know it works fine with MTB chains/cassettes but as mentioned above this is my first Roadie venture and I know you guys can be fussy :)

hamster":26y9tfrb said:
A SRAM chain is fine with road cogs - I use one on both Shimano and Campag - with the powerlink. :D

Good news.
Am I right in thinking SRAM dont do specific 'road' chains, but that any '9sp' SRAM chain would do?

I can definitely recommend KMC chains, I use them on all my bikes and never had one go (tempts fate) on mountain bike, road bike or cross bikes including racing.
I have the 9sl in gold on my road bike and it's flawless in performance as well as matching my colour scheme :cool:

KeepItSteel":2jikbbj8 said:
hamster":2jikbbj8 said:
A SRAM chain is fine with road cogs - I use one on both Shimano and Campag - with the powerlink. :D

Good news.
Am I right in thinking SRAM dont do specific 'road' chains, but that any '9sp' SRAM chain would do?

A chain is a chain, so road and MTB are the same. Apparently all you get with the snazzy ones is a teeny weight saving but no extra life. Only the bottom one in the range lasts less long as it isn't hardened.

NakedGav":kzs29dl2 said:
I can definitely recommend KMC chains, I use them on all my bikes and never had one go (tempts fate) on mountain bike, road bike or cross bikes including racing.
I have the 9sl in gold on my road bike and it's flawless in performance as well as matching me colour scheme :cool:

I forgot to ask about KMC.
I think I may give the gold 9sp a chance to impress me. IIRC they come with a variant on the power link?

As for 'a chains a chain' , I presume this may not be the case if using a wider 8/9sp chain on a 10sp cassette, or vice versa?

Thanks for the advice guys!

Back