Moulton in action..

I concur, for so many reasons that photo fills me with admiration.

Ever dipped below the 5hr mark?

sub 5 hours .... not on this bike, 5.5.24 but there is always next year :)

It was my first attempt at a 100 miler [ done a couple of 12hrs ] so I now know how to tackle the event, a bigger gear would be good.

I was spinning out at about 30mph in top, middle is direct drive so should be the most used gear, needs to be about 75 - 78 inch, I only used 1st while in the first 5 miles on a lumpy bit and I think towards the end when I was trying to get the legs loosened up again.

The bike is heavy with the 4 bottles for the 100 but a no stop policy is best, I saw a few stop for a bite to eat or grab a bottle but I think it is a bit foolish, 100 miles isn't that far really on a fast road with a couple of gels and energy bars in your pocket.

Bike set up is important, I had the bars quite high so my back was ok, long tts can be agony if you try and get really aero maybe that is why some of these folk stopped?

I have gone under 27 minutes in a 10 miler this year, I would like to do the same speed in a 50 or 100, that would be good...

So who is going to get the retro road bike out and take on a few carbon fibre boys then :) I would really like a 1930's-50's machine to race on....

great pics, looks like everyone was trying, I particularly like that chaps skinsuit.... let me know when the next event is :)

I think my Moulton would be a bit older than some if not all of those bikes though. Maybe the Holdsworth is older.

To turn mine into a genuine retro Moulton racer would cost me a fair bit though, 17 inch sprints! etc... :?

malvernman":189wajqn said:
great pics, looks like everyone was trying, I particularly like that chaps skinsuit.... let me know when the next event is :)

Trying!? I know I was! Howling headwind when it was taken.

Next OS event is the Wrekinsport 10 on Sept 26th. Look on the Planet X website for details, rules etc.

EDIT! It's Saturday the 25th NOT 26th!!

Old Ned":osjp3qzf said:
malvernman":osjp3qzf said:

Trying!? I know I was! Howling headwind when it was taken.

Next OS event is the Wrekinsport 10 on Sept 26th. Look on the Planet X website for details, rules etc.

EDIT! It's Saturday the 25th NOT 26th!!

Just posted my entry!

Awesome post. I love small wheel bikes, got a few myself and hack about on them locally. Kudos for packing in the miles on them.

Back