Coast 2 Coast hArdGay Off Road - Sat 25th/Sun26th September

kaiser":2j88ttoa said:
I'm up for this one too, the peaks is looking lack lustre and financially non-viable. Gazz/Rado/ZZ if your wanting to do a 4 into 2 car share I'll be driving anyway. If theres still space that is.

OK

nutcase_eight_ball.png

:D

Coincidence re the peaks weekend - nothing more. As it looked like this trip wasn't otherwise going to happen, a couple of us (who weren't ever going to the peaks) suggested a mutually convenient date taking into account ferry timetables, work & family committments and so on - as sort of Last Big Country Day Out before the winter nights really close in, which they really do when you're a hundred miles north of Inverness.

This kind of thing will always happen as different folk want to do different things or can only travel at certain times etc - there is no malice or buggerance intended. If I read his notes correctly, Mr Orcadia is going to cycle the 100 miles home after the Ullapool weekend - doffs cap. That's pretty strong committment (don't know what to mind :D )

Onyway's - cheer up with the knowledge that the Peaks will probably be bathed in golden sunlight whilst the Ullapool contingent will probably be battling against horizontal sleet and arrive in darkness to find the hostel has been double booked and there's no decent totty in the road race.

Wrong date is my doing as i became dislexack after a quart of Mersault - Authorised Personnel - please remedy :p

....and don't worry , we'll invade en mass soon. again.

well i wasted my time writing that lot n'est pas.... :LOL:

Orkney must have faster broadband than me :cry:

Its a great shame you guys can't come down to the Peaks, it's a classic meet and quite possibly the jewel in the RB calender (going off the past two fantastic years). However, I do understand your geographical issues.

On the other hand, Mr K and myself are discussing a trip upto your event in October, hence the NW&NWA will not be hosting an event that weekend. Thats because we acknowledge our neighbours efforts in hosting a national status event.

Well, courtesy of Google Earth I've been along the route about 3 times today, at an altitude of 400m.

It looks like taking the path to Knockdamph is best option for the outward journey, as the route through Strath Munzie is ill-defined once you leave the road for the track, and with loads of dodgy fords before you get there. Might be worth a go on the way back though, if we're reckless.

However, the biggest potential hurdle may be on the suggested route above if there has been a lot of rain. 2km from Duag Bridge we need to ford the Abhainn Poblaidh, which carries all the water from the glen down into the bigger river at its end, about 200m downstream.

At the start in Ardgay it might also be best to take the road on the north of the Carron rather than south road that I've highlighted, as it seems to enjoy a nice view across the floodplain, and we need to cross over to it anyway later.

About 3km before Duag Bridge I have a waypoint saying 'Straight on.' That's OK, but if the track is crap we can take the other fork, turning left off of that when it curves round after about 500m, as it seem a much bigger and better track. It then runs roughly parallel to the other one, joining it just before Duag Bridge.

The 'Straight on' waypoint is the halfway point, near as dammit.

Hopefully not confusing things too much but if you travel a wee bit farther at each end its sea to ocean, allegedly.

I'm getting scared ZZ :LOL:

good work therealkw15 glad to see someone will know where we are going :cool:

I am a really crap swimmer kaiser but I like the idea of a dunk each side who's in?

And sinnett177, have to agree, having cycled around/ hope/castleton ladybower- tis brilliant riding and would have been great to get together and make new friends. However old friends and epic adventures are just to good to miss, me and kaiser were the only peaks sign-ups and the clash of dates was, as has been mentioned, unavoidable. We will miss out I'm sure but I hope you miss out even more hence my decision.

Si insular is just a wee tiny bit OTT, where does it say on retrobike what folks should and shouldn't do? My point about the dunkeld ride was that I couldn't see folks making the trip up to Scotland in the depths of winter to ride some ice with some hairy scots/australians/english/poles etc.. and to be fair they never.

I did not and do not expect anyone to come and ride at a meet up here, if they come it's a bonus if not then whatever no biggy. Get out and ride (doesn't matter where ) and do it because you want to and ride like you stole it. ;)

Latest posts

Back