My project - I WILL be asking many silly newbie questions...

haribo

Old School Hero
A GT LTS that I picked up for pittance. This is how I found it but it's had a basic clean since and I bolted on some bits just to see how she ran (surprisingly well considering it's apparently been left in a garden for god knows how long). I'm pretty much a total newbie having only built one MTB before and I just want to get this one up and running on the cheap for the moment so I can get some enjoyment out of it rather than a period restoration (which may happen in the future when funds allow).

I'd be grateful if anyone could help with identification first off. It has a 6061 T6 frame, decals just say 'LTS', LX/XT mix which looks original. I think it's an LTS 1 or 2 from around 1997? Anyway, help on identification appreciated and just an advance warning - lots of pretty basic questions RE getting her running may follow! Thanks in advance, great site!

Attachments

• 13397975__1189423711__1__1-0f8bcbd94b9c524e9183be50d241fcaf.__big__.jpg
    13397975__1189423711__1__1-0f8bcbd94b9c524e9183be50d241fcaf.__big__.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,887
I think there are new decals on it, but I'm not sure. I have to check the brochures. I think '96 maybe '97.

dom_k":1xg8j2oh said:
id say 96 as it has the old style links arms at the rear top.
The later models still used the curved links, only the Team and "1" had the straight link.

great project and nice catch!

no knowledge of GT's though - not my thing but someone here will know for sure.

welcome to the site!

Based on the paint I'm leaning towards a 97.

I think the lower end LTS models still had the older style linkage in 97, have a feeling its probably a LTS 3.

Nice bike though - I actually prefer the older style linkage on the standard LTS models, compared with the later trunion mount versions. Looks better to me and you've got more options for shock upgrades.

Wow, thanks for all the quick responses! From my (very basic - I've only looked at the GT catalogues on this site - very useful!) research I think the 2/3 were constructed of 7005 as opposed to 6061 T6? The frame is also anodised rather than painted so to speak. I'm interested in my rear shock options ashes and am glad that the one I've got gives me more options. Thanks again all.

You're right - the linkage looks different on the LTS 1 than my one.

Attachments

• lts.jpg
    lts.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,819
I'm not sure what length and stroke the shocks are on the LTS - if its fairly standard length and stroke you'll have plenty to choose from (Fox, Rock Shox, Manitou etc).

If not, Risse custom make shocks to pretty much fit anything.

I upgraded the shock on my Giant to a Cane Creek AD-5 (air shock) I bought cheap on ebay and couldn't be happier with it. Its very light and easy to service if need be. Looking on the website, it seems they make a version of the AD-12 (similar shock - with external adjustability) that fits the LTS 2 & 3. Would be a good option if you're wanting to drop some weight and set it up for XC.

Having said all that, if the current one works well and you're wanting to keep the thing as original as possible, I'd just stick with what it came with (comforted by the knowledge a blown shock in the future won't render it a write off!). :D

LTS shock is a custom mounting. you get rockshox deluxe to fit popping up on the bay quite regularly

cce":1dz3ogf8 said:
LTS shock is a custom mounting. you get rockshox deluxe to fit popping up on the bay quite regularly

Are you sure the earlier LTS linkages require custom shock mountings? Cane Creek don't touch custom mounts (such as the later LTS's and STS's) but, according to their compatability charts, make a shock for the early LTS models.

Back