Build opinions for '94 Merlin Mountain ?

Archangel

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Received my newest project, the 1994 Merlin Mountain.

94_merlin_mtn_1.jpg

It came with the bb. Could anyone tell me if this is Merlin's Beta-C or something else ? Too bad it's 113mm which means it's too long for the XTR M900 cranks.

94_merlin_mtn_2.jpg

I would appreciate if you could give me some opinions on the build, 'cause I can't decide myself... ;)

This is what I have thought:

Option 1:
Fork: Tange Switchblades
Parts spec: Full XTR M900 including bb, seatpost & headset

Option 2:
Fork: Specialized FSX Carbon/Ti or custom-made titanium rigid fork
Parts spec: XTR M900 but with threadless headset, titanium bb & seatpost;

Option 3:
Fork: Specialized FSX Carbon/Ti or custom-made titanium rigid fork
Parts spec: Custom with aftermarket crankset, Nuke Proof wheels, threadless headset, titanium bb & seatpost, etc. Shifting duties by XTR M900.

All options would include titanium bars, stem & bar ends, specialized tyres (UG or normal) and Flite ti seat.

What do you think :?:

either 2 or 3 build. tange forks arent really inkeeping. nice project :)

frame number around 38.. kinda number?

scant":2aylgtt1 said:

Hi mate,

I KNEW I could always trust that at least you would comment! Thanks! :D

Serial is #10608. Frame size is 18". Maybe a tad too long top tube (~600mm) but I'll manage... ;)

Archangel":206ifhvp said:
scant":206ifhvp said:

Hi mate,

I KNEW I could always trust that at least you would comment! Thanks! :D

Serial is #10608. Frame size is 18". Maybe a tad too long top tube (~600mm) but I'll manage... ;)

find a shorter stem, 90-100mm & the fit will be perfect :)

I'm not certain that a custom Ti fork is the way to go, yes it's Ti/Ti, but the Tange fork is period correct.

Also, I'm not a fan of Ti forks, the ones that I've tried were like riding the proverbial wet noodles. Some forks you can feel flex, these forks I could watch flex without even looking close. There might be ones that are more rigid but I've yet to try these.

IMHO, of course.

Pinguwin

no Switchblade please. that frame deserves a nicer fork! might well be that it has suspension geometry hence the Specialized would be nice. Merlin liked Pace forks back then. a suspension corrected RC-30 would look nice or an RC-35 (i dont like them though). a susp corrected Ritchey Logic would always be "correct" and good but a bit boring.

the M900 cranks would work on the 113mm spindle. not as narrow as it could be but still ok.

black steel seat post (XTR), black steel stem (Salsa), black fork, black bars (Tioga Prestige, Hyperlite) would be my choice and the rest M900. but i am old and dont need/like blingbling stuff ;) i also dont like Ti parts on a Ti frame. it is quickly too much and there's no contrast. everything in the same boring grey...

Carsten

I'm not saying the switchblade for sure, just that I don't find Ti forks that great and a custom built one would not be that great, period incorrect (if you're into that), and pricey.

A Ritchey fork would be nice and I don't think it would be too boring, most forks are pretty plain. Ritcheys ride nice and ultimately that's what matters. Actually I'm partial to Koski forks, those ride quite nice too.

As far as Carsten not being into blingbling...hmmm... How many brightly colored Kleins do you have?

Pinguwin

pinguwin":2aw5k51v said:
I'm not saying the switchblade for sure, just that I don't find Ti forks that great and a custom built one would not be that great, period incorrect (if you're into that), and pricey.

A Ritchey fork would be nice and I don't think it would be too boring, most forks are pretty plain. Ritcheys ride nice and ultimately that's what matters. Actually I'm partial to Koski forks, those ride quite nice too.

As far as Carsten not being into blingbling...hmmm... How many brightly colored Kleins do you have?

Pinguwin

the frame doesnt make a bike bling, it's the parts you hand on it. ok, certain paints are bling but i'd say the only brightly colored Kleins i have are the two Storm painted. for good reasons i dont have Horizon, Backfire, Gator etc. and no custom painted ones too... i happily leave those for the young ones like you ;)

Carsten

Very nice frame, go for Pace RC31c forks. i have two pairs and i'm going to fit a third pair on my new project. But these aren't retro.
Happy building hope you will post pictures of progress :D

Carsten":3r05j1id said:
i happily leave those for the young ones like you ;)Carsten

Now let's not get CrazyFred involved in this one!

P.G.

P.S. For those who don't know, CrazyFred is a grumpy, but ultimately good natured, troll on mtbr.

Latest posts

Back