Which is the best modern?

andrewl said:
Ditch those short travel hardtails and get onto a Turner 5 Spot (or Spot) as I've said many times before if I was only allowed to have one bike this would be it, as it just does everything so well from all day epics, really technical climbs and descents and even XC racing (I've even won racing on mine!!).

Once you've ridden a great dual suspension bike you won't go back (other than the retro stuff).

You must have good legs. BTW: I tried dual sussers (Frm, Santa Cruz, Cycletech, Cannondale) and I did go back. Nothing beats titanium, but evryone had his cup of tea...

Re: what kind of brakes are that?

Mrazek, marinovative design with a bit of machining. Avid ultimate levers

ooh! nice!

how do they brake compared to shimano XTR V's?

I have a XTR brake / XT lever combo and brake performance is very good but I would like to switch to some more rare and unique brake system.
Like the original Marinovative brakes but they seem ververy hard to get?
Mrazeks ofcourse can be bought directly from Mrazek I think?

thanks for the info.

Re: what kind of brakes are that?

obi-wan-mtb said:
Mrazek, marinovative design with a bit of machining. Avid ultimate levers

ooh! nice!

how do they brake compared to shimano XTR V's?

I have a XTR brake / XT lever combo and brake performance is very good but I would like to switch to some more rare and unique brake system.
Like the original Marinovative brakes but they seem ververy hard to get?
Mrazeks ofcourse can be bought directly from Mrazek I think?

thanks for the info.

In comparison with xtrs they are more powerful but a bit brisk. I got them from ebay but you can order directly to mrazek. Marinovatives? I have a set but I am not too keen on selling them. If I change my mind I'll tell you.

I've been riding this one for the last year and have been very happy :D

Jumped on the old Grove Hardcore at Jeff's Cakalacky Cup/Vintage Fest for some single track...and while the nostalgia was grand, sure did like the comfort and performance of the 29er.

Fully rigid, Rohloff (oh so sweet), Phil hub and Brooks...gotta luv it!

Paint does have a retro touch to it...bright jolly rancher with a lovely black splatter and prismatic to catch the sun's lovely rays.

cheers,

rody

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 988
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 988
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 988
Nice ride Rody

A modern bike I would like to own. The point with modern bikes is that really nice frames can still be had, but problems arise when it comes to building a complete bike. Modern parts aren't so elegant anymore. A setup with Rohloff and sweet cranks will solve this for a substantial part.

Novekili,

Ah yes, I think you mean the team polka dot (pic below)...the local bike shop owner kept after me for weeks to sell him that frame.

As I only really built it up for a little marketing flash, off it went. He's all smiles every time we pass on the trail.

Mel,

I fell your pain with the modern stuff...so black and abrupt looking. Really miss the elegance and function of some of the older equipment.

The Rohloff is quite the engineering marvel, very clean and efficient. One chainring, one cog, 14 speeds...I'll never go back to derailleurs again.

Maybe we can pursuade you to sell off a few of the vintage collection and throw a leg over a modern ride after all???

cheers,

rody

Attachments

• team small.jpg
    team small.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 973
Hi Rody,

Took a look at your website. Great stuff :cool: The El Jefe model is closest to my heart. 26", sturdy, interesting solutions...

I am still impressed by the Yo fork you made =>

Alan's_fork_side1.jpg

I guess that is the fork you made for Jez' Ti FAT, the 1st you did.

On the getting rid of my old bikes thing: I am currently in the process of moving and I face that having the number of bikes I have can sometimes also be a pain. Getting rid of some sounds like a good idea, but I do not know what to get rid off. The bikes have it good with me you know. I am like an bike-orphanage. I use them, but I also enjoy preserving them.

Maybe I will once add another. A xxth wont hurt. Got a proper job now :)

Back