Coast 2 Coast hArdGay Off Road - Sat 25th/Sun26th September

Think that would be doable, could get a bike in the boot, and two on back if rado is confident it would hold. Let me talk to the wife tonight about car arrangements.

Had travelled with two bikes at back to Nevis Range and rack was super sturdy and stable all way. Didn't tried with three bikes though.

3 bikes on the back of your car compares favourably with 4 bikes on a bastarding train, as the one I am booked on is apparently full up of bikes, and with booking mandatory.

My mental scenario says that a group of end-to-enders has booked this with out regard to the fact that they will actually arrive two days early, and in the meantime are pissing off righteously the good people of the north of Scotland, in particular, me.

I think I may have to purchase a bike bag, on the basis that at least I'll get on the train, and it'll be handy if I take the bike on the plane another time. Sadly the good old days of a nod and a wink at Kirkwall check-in and the bike went on for free with only needing to turn the handlebars round are past.

Even then Scotrail might sting me for a half adult fare as the bag would be oversize (1m), but as that would be a fiver, could be worse. The tense bit will be getting the bike in the bag in five minutes flat...

Jamie, you don't fancy this route do you? ;)

:LOL:

Like flies round a melon :LOL:

Three things to be aware of:

Thing one: This is Friday/Saturday because of boat timetable for Orcadians. Although nothing stopping a second batch on the Saturday/Sunday if some want - we could meet up half way on the Saturday and pass the baton :LOL:
EDIT: NOW CONFIRMED AS SATURDAY 25TH AND SUNDAY 26TH SEPTEMBER

Thing two: Checked my MBA (Mountain Bothies Association :roll: ) stuff today and the bothies (Duag Bridge and Knockdamph) will be out of bounds due to deerstalking. That means we possibly can't use them for teabreak/shelter - unless there's no-one there ;)

Thing three: Because of the above - Ullapool has to be the night's destination so we need to book accomodation there and not rely on bothy availability

Ullapool or Bust :shock:

OK definite no for me then. A summer 2011 plan would seem more sensible. Have fun guys ;)

However I've always fancied a day trip ride to Loch Einich in the cairngorms due south of Coylum Bridge. Its a one way in, one way out with river crossings following landrover tracks into a steep sided glen with of course the loch at the bottom.

Looks good for spectacular scenery and Aviemore can be the base of operations.

Just a thought ;)

OK then. Is there any accommodation on the Saturday 25th?

I could stay overnight on the Friday somewhere near Ardgay and come and meet you guys for a Sat/Sun run, which some seem to favour anyway. It might help my bike booking problem too. No deerstalking on a Sunday!

Back