Carlton Criterium 1975

jambon":2b6o3pcl said:
fine example, nice workshop too

My workshop taken today in atrocious weather...

P8250147.jpg

P8250146.jpg

The building dates from 1851 and was once a Scullery for the my house, it used to have a chimney for a copper in which laundry was boiled etc...

Since the weather has been so bad today and I was supposed to be camping, its allowed me to have a full day working on the new Criterium.

Ive repacked the BB and Head races as well as degreasing the frame and all the components. Fitted new bar tape, white cloth type. the original stuff would have been that dreadful textured plastic stuff that used to pervade machines in the 1970s... Ill have to keep my hands clean using this stuff!

The frame has also been shampooed and waxed. I need to sort some new seat tube graphics, but apart from that Im keep the frame as is, marks and all!

Brake have been degresed and polished before reassembly. Ive also fitted better hooded Carlton levers. Brakes by the way were date stamped 1975.

Ill make a start on the wheels and hubs tomorrow, the Maillard large flange hubs will take a bit of cleaning as will the spokes and rims. Cleaned and regreased the QR skewers.

P8250138.jpg

P8250143.jpg

The chainwheel is a 42/52 tooth affair.
P8250131.jpg

The original quill pedals will be fitted with new toeclips and straps
P8250136.jpg

Ive cleaned and fitted the Huret Svelto rear mech, the red jockey wheeled versions always look a little more attractive I think and add a nice visual appeal.
P8250134.jpg

The Weinmann Vanquer 999 brakes are effective stoppers once adjusted and set up correctly.
P8250137.jpg

Carlton hoods...
P8250142.jpg

New Tressorex white cloth bar tape...
P8250132.jpg

P8250130.jpg

Both are looking good.

I particularly approve of the August '75 one, as that makes it the same age as me!

Glad you are enjoying it. Im just off to the workshop now to make a start on the rear wheel, need a fair bit of work.

Im going in....

NickD":2drrtjl0 said:
Both are looking good.

I particularly approve of the August '75 one, as that makes it the same age as me!

Both are from 75, Ive still got to ascertain the month for the latest one.

Today I have been mostly involved in cleaning, scrubbing or collecting wheels from my local cycle shop. Apologies in advance for the number of wheels pics which follow.

Picked up a partially respoked and trued wheel for my other Criterium today, so I can get that one back on the road.

Spent much of today cleaning, degreasing and polishing the wheels for my second Criterium. This one has the original hubs but the rim metal is much poorer condition than my other one...

Anyway these are just about done now.

The old Maillard hubs have come up well...
P8270157.jpg

Ive cleaned the QR mechs as well...
P8270156.jpg

The old Maillard 5-speed free wheel has been cleaned and re-oiled.
P8270155.jpg

P8270153.jpg

P8270151.jpg

P8270149.jpg

Enough! :LOL:

Compare with these:
P8220121.jpg

P8220120.jpg

Back