First retro road bike, Raleigh, help please!

brawr

Retro Newbie
Okay, so I've been after a road bike for a couple of weeks, I'm a rower and have been looking for more interesting ways of keeping fit than just going running, plus it's a handy thing to have when I'm at uni in central London.

Being a student also means I'm mostly skint, so that pointed me towards either something old or something cheap'n'nasty, and I'm definitely a lover of retro design (I drive an '80s MR2, enjoy extended Mega Drive playtime, regularly dive into Camden's vintage markets etc.). I also quite enjoy a bit of tinkering (steady on), so playing with older stuff doesn't scare me. Having kept an eye (and a very full watchlist) pointed at ebay, looking for a retro project bike, wandered in to my local car boot this morning on the off-chance and scored this:

P1000663.jpg

P1000670.jpg

P1000664.jpg

P1000665.jpg

P1000666.jpg

P1000667.jpg

P1000668.jpg

P1000669.jpg

P1000670.jpg

P1000671.jpg

P1000672.jpg

The reason I included so many photos is that I have no idea what it is, and wondered if anyone had an insight. I've looked it over for a frame number, but couldn't find one. It's on 27" wheels, and isn't huge (not gotten around to properly measuring it yet). It looks like it was originally a bright red colour. Fairly sure most of the components on it aren't original - the cables don't follow the frame's cable routing, there is no lever/cabling/derailleur for the crank sprockets, etc.

Plans are -
strip and clean, repaint frame, replacement stem, drop bars, brake levers, drop-tube gear levers, front derailleur, all cables.

Currently undecided on colour, but as it's going to be living in London (and I'd rather not get it nicked), something ratty like matte Nato green with brown leather grip tape/saddle might be on the cards. That said, if the frame turns out to be something interesting I might consider restoring it to original.

Any tips or help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated! I've read up a bit on bikes, and am continuing to do so, but the only practical experiences I've had have been riding mountain bikes as I was growing up :oops:

Many thanks,
Adam

I see the raleigh headbadge, but the seat cluster is very vintage Carlton. i know the two brands were inter related at some point. The bottom bracket grease nipple port would suggest its an old un.

Looks like one of the Raleigh/Carlton/BSA/Sun etc. 'sports' bikes that were legion in the 60's and 70's. Good solid frames that were kitted out with a large variety of components depending on the retail price level. This one carries a Raleigh headbadge but I'll bet that not all the components are original.

A good solid frame, the wrap over seat stays shows Carlton heritage.

With a good frame you have a great foundation to build on. Depends what you want to build it into, a good touring bike with plenty of period parts or a mixture of old and new. Bottom line pretty much everything on the bike bar the frame needs throwing out really, maybe keep the brakes, BB...

Please dont turn it into yet another single or 'fixie' Im sick of the sight of them as well thinking they are an utter abomination - my opinion only!

Look forward to seeing what you decide to do with the machine!

Thanks for the responses! I'll have a bit of a look for similar vintage parts now I've got an idea of age. Plan at the moment is to start picking up bits and pieces for it while pulling it apart to see what shape everything is in. Initial impressions are good, rides well, wheels are straight and run well (after a bit of realignment on the rear) and it doesn't feel heavy (comparing this to MTBs mind...). I'll post up a project thread in the readers bikes section when I get home (on my phone at work at the moment). Thanks again for everything so far.
Oh, and don't worry about the fixie thing - I see the appeal and they do look clean, but gears are definitely staying!

brawr":35x7eptx said:
Oh, and don't worry about the fixie thing - I see the appeal and they do look clean, but gears are definitely staying!

an SA AW 3 speed would look clean and give you gears. it's also be eminently suitable for that age and style of frame, as well as for riding around london on if you gear it so you've got close as poss to 46/62/82"

Back