Foot & Mouth

JustKev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
I suspect this is going to be a big problem again soon, especially if you're a dairy farmer.

I just heard on the radio that there is "a suspected outbreak of foot and mouth in Egham, Surrey. Cattle are being already slaughtered and a six-mile exclusion zone set up as a precuation". :shock:

6 miles is a long way and slaughtering on unconfirmed case sounds extreme to me?

MadCowKev":p51scg73 said:
slaughtering on unconfirmed case sounds extreme to me?

If they were to wait for confirmation it would already be too late.

A repeat of the 2001 outbreak is out of the question, i believe even the affected farmers would have to accept that this type of response is the minimum.

Tallpaul":2son536d said:
A repeat of the 2001 outbreak is out of the question.

I'm not a dairy farmer Paul and not trying to be contraversial either - I want to see an outbreak avoided. I just know what effect mass slaughter has on the farmers and thought, maybe naively, that an exclusion zone would suffice for time it takes to confirm the findings? (But then I'm no microbiologist either - can supply them though!)

I'm not a farmer either, and i don't really care if people's views are controversial (not that i thought yours were) ;)

The foot and mouth issue reflects on the whole of UK farming, not just the farmers afffected by the slaughter or exclusion zone. Exports get suspended and foreign governments get paranoid.

Government not only needs to genuinely contain any potential outbreak, but also to be seen to be taking tough action.

MadCowKev":1nbgktxc said:
I suspect this is going to be a big problem again soon, especially if you're a dairy farmer.

I just heard on the radio that there is "a suspected outbreak of foot and mouth in Egham, Surrey.

I went to Uni in Egham.... never saw any cows there though.

i've chatted with my local council about this. even if theres another massive outbreak there wont be anything like the massive trail bans there were last time, partially as they were so uneffective anyway & partially because significantly more money was lost through tourism than farming.

Stick Legs":ps7gzncw said:
Have you checked your self out Kev?

Better safe than sorry! :LOL:

I have been off colour for a few weeks - barely ridden :shock:

Dar Kuma said:
apparently foot and mouth can be cured at £25 a head, dunno if the meat would be safe for consumption though??

I read some where that the law states the meat must not be contaminated (not the laws words. But you know what i mean) As foot & mouth does not harm us humans. But the fact the meat has some thing wrong with it means no sale. Also the jab to protect the cow is problem over here but not in Europe (is how i understand it) So it will need a change in the law to give the cow a jab. That's how i understand this sad (very sad for the cows/pigs) problem.

Back