Bottom bracket woes

jez-4-bikes-max

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I don't want to take 2 of the bikes to the LBS. More hassle than its worth for something I should be able to sort out myself.....so let me begin:

BB stuck in 2 frames. Need to put in a wider axle in both bikes.

I think its just the cups need a good crank to get them free - these are the shimano sealed units I'm talking about.

Anyone with any tips?

Jez, I have a Shimano B/B tool that fits onto a 3/8 drive ratchet. I use a length of alloy pipe to make the handle 3 foot long. The force usually moves them - be careful though!

Sounds crazy I know, but an engineer once told me that if you're stuck trying to undo a bolt etc, try turning it the other way, ie do it up. If it does move even slightly, you should then be able to turn it the other way and undo it.

yeah, that can sometimes break the bond

if the frames are at all precious, which being jez, is very likely, then i'd have a few goes then leave it to a pro.

exately who is more 'pro' than jez :LOL:
must have been in and around 100 bikes.

Jez: i turn bike upside down (saddle and bars stylee) and then can wrench right over the centre point, seem to be able to get more tug that way :roll:

Heat it up with a plumbers blow lamp, not too much just enough to warm it up, not burn the paint off.

I seen a tin of stuff that you spray in to stuck nuts bolts and things leave over night then it should undo normal. good luck :)

B3":1qp8w2r2 said:
Heat it up with a plumbers blow lamp, not too much just enough to warm it up, not burn the paint off.

thats gonna fook the finish tho! heatgun is a lot safer :)

Normally go for bolting the tool into the bb using the crank nut and some washers, then place in a vice ;)

Back