27" Tyre Advice

ndg

Dirt Disciple
I've just acquired an old road bike to try and start commuting to work on. Unfortunately I know little about road bikes, having ridden mountain bikes for my whole life! The bike I've been lent/given is generally in good condition, and was a nice bike when new, but has been sat so long that the tyres have essentially dissolved, so I need a new pair of tyres and tubes.

The current tyres are 27x1/4", so my choices are a bit limited, but I could do with advice on what to go for.
Current thoughts run to these:
conti ultra gator skin
or these in either 1 1/4" or 1 1/8" width
conti ultra

What do people recommend? I'm looking at a 9 mile each way which is a mile or so across town and 8 miles on country roads.

For those interested it's a Hugh Portman Veloce Ventura with suntour shifting and a 2x5 drivetrain, down tube mounted shifters. Tubing is Reynolds 531, Shimano hubs and Selman (?) cranks. Currently running mud guards and rear rack, so ideal for commuting.

Help appreciated!

Thanks

N.

another vote for World Tour, got a 700 x 35C pair on my commuter and they're great, esp for the money. I managed to tear one riding through glass tho, but it's still going strong after I sewed it up with dental floss

World Tours are great tyres and cheep.Bontrager do a Hardcase in that size but for a lot more money although you wont get punctures.jm.,

Schwalbe do a 27" in 3 of their range with the Marathon Plus at the top about £25 - but puncture protected and very hardwearing.

Cheers

My usual recommendation: Panaracer Pasela.

Quite a bit more expensive than World Tours, but well worth the extra, IMO.

P7300767.jpg

I was just going to ask if anyone's running Panaracers! I was in Ghyllside Cycles last weekend in the Lakes and was very tempted. They've got to be a bit quicker than World Tours?

Goldie":3b9f6j2h said:
I was just going to ask if anyone's running Panaracers! I was in Ghyllside Cycles last weekend in the Lakes and was very tempted. They've got to be a bit quicker than World Tours?

They are, Ive found the 27 x 1-1/4" size looks thinner than the World Tours as well.

Latest posts

Back