Diamondback Ascent '93 - Scrapheap Challenge, update 17/4/11

weeman_mtb

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
There's a scrapyard about 5 miles from me that sells off the complete bikes that find their way onto the heap. Any one you want for a tenner but it's usually all BSO's and the like. I go there once a fortnight or so just on the off chance that something retro and lovely has turned up but no real luck except for this.

About three months ago amongst the crap was this filthy Diamondback Ascent, not really what I was after but ticked the retro box so I dragged it out. It was complete apart from the seatpost, clamp and saddle but the wheels were buckled beyond repair. There was also a gaping rusty hole where one of the bottle cage mounts had been pulled out but apart from this it was straight. The frame also made that lovely ping when flicked so the tenner was paid and I chucked it in the boot.

I totally stripped to bare frame, cleaned it up and was toying with the idea of chucking a bike together as it was but the paintwork was terrible, a lot worse than it looks in the photo. So it had the nitromors treatment and I made a new insert for the bottle cage and got it brazed in at work. Then another workmate got it powdercoated for me FOC which was very nice of him and I've also given it a good go with the waxoil.

I've just finished putting it together and have ridden it to work and back this week so far. I really like it although I'm not 100% happy with the riding position, I'm pretty sure a new stem about an inch longer will sort that.

It's been built with nearly all the bits that came on it excluding the wheels and tyres, bb, saddle, seatpost and clamp, qr's, rear mech, outer cables and grips. Some bits I had already, some I bought including the saddle off here. I reckon it owes me about £45 all in but it would have been more like £30 if I hadn't been a tart and bought all the red stuff or £20 with a less comfy saddle aswell.

It's never going to win BOTM but I think it is worthy of saving and has made a nice tidy bike.

Attachments

• Diamondback 4.JPG
    Diamondback 4.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 4,252
  • Diamondback 3.JPG
    Diamondback 3.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 4,252
  • Diamondback 2.JPG
    Diamondback 2.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 4,251
  • Diamondback 1.JPG
    Diamondback 1.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 4,252
i had a sorrento from about the same era, me and that bike was inseparable until some thieving tw@ stole as i was at my grans to show her the onza bar ends i had bought with my birthday money from her :(

Nice job Chris liking what you done to this top job :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks Jon, just a bit of budget building fun really but I'm pleased with the outcome.

I shotblasted a longer stem for it at work today which should have gone to the powdercoaters tonight. Perhaps the first and only upgrade for this bike but we'll see.....

I still really like this bike so decided to give it a few upgrades, although most bits have come along at rock bottom prices.

The bike got its new stem and some decals last year before being put away for Winter. Today I've pulled the bike out into the sunlight to throw on the rest of the bits that I've gathered together & earmarked for it. The mechs have been replaced with XT, M735 front and M739 rear. I'd like to get a matching M735 for the rear but I'll wait for one at the right price. Ebay provided a cheap Hope seatclamp as well as the new chainrings for peanuts. I couldn't believe it when the Middleburn plus middle and granny turned up for £6 BIN with free postage.

So that's all for now, this bike is currently my number one choice for the Forest of Dean next month but things can change ;) .

Attachments

• Ascent 2.JPG
    Ascent 2.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 3,602
  • Ascent 1.JPG
    Ascent 1.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 3,602
It`s beautiful

Hiya,

I`ve joined this forum for the express reason of finding my old bike from 1995. I bought it second hand for 250 quid and it was the best bike ive ever owned. The original frame picture at the top of this thread is almost definitely my old Diamondback. Oh wow. Is it rude to ask if you are prepared to sell it? Although I don't like your stem upgrade. I much prefer the original zoom stem ;)

Re: It`s beautiful

jitensha":3i9hkufe said:
Hiya,

I`ve joined this forum for the express reason of finding my old bike from 1995. I bought it second hand for 250 quid and it was the best bike ive ever owned. The original frame picture at the top of this thread is almost definitely my old Diamondback. Oh wow. Is it rude to ask if you are prepared to sell it? Although I don't like your stem upgrade. I much prefer the original zoom stem ;)

Definitely not for sale mate, sorry. Zoom stem was put back on quite a while back as the black stem was just a touch too long for me. I have a few upgrades for this bike which I'll be fitting in the near future including another new stem, it's very much an ongoing project .

Best of luck in the hunt for another one, they do come up from time to time on here and ebay. Try starting a thread in the wanted section http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=3 you never know what somebody may have at the back of the shed.

xxnick1975":ntnfd8k8 said:
That's cool. Great job, honest rebuild, well done. I would vote for it in botm.

Thanks for the nice comments but can't see myself ever entering any bike into botm, it's just not my thing.

Dont blame you

As soon as I get my mitts on one I`m never letting go either. Ive not done any kind of restoration before but I`m looking forward to giving it a go. How do you go about acquiring all the parts? Is it just a case of building up a stock of stuff over time?

Anyway, I`m gutted but happy to have a brand new hobby :)

Back