what price for a name?

jango

Senior Retro Guru
well in short about 20 quid!!

The long story... a few months back I needed a seatpost in 27.0, seemingly not an easy size to find. Eventually I stumbled upon a Kalloy Uno in silver on the 'bay for 99p +p&p, fair enough I thought, it'll do as a stop gap until something better comes along.
Fast forward to today as I unwrap my newly delivered Easton EA50 seatpost (£23 inc p&p). That looks familiar I thought.... it's the exact same bl**dy post except it's black and says Easton on it!!!

So the price of a name is about £20 in my experience!!

Anyone else found themselves paying for brand 'quality'?

Kev

There was a Klein seatpost that sold for a couple of hundred $ not too long ago. Hard to find in good condition, yes, but it's a Kalloy post with a Klein logo inscribed on it. Told the seller, who used to work for Klein, that he should buy up some nice Kalloy's and put on the logo itself. Make a tidy sum he could.
I'm all for going period & part correct and all that, but not at that cost. Besides, back then, I often traded in parts with the shop the bike came with for other goodies anyways, so they never really were on my bike to start with.

A frame company, for the most part, isn't going to bother making a generic part like a seatpost, when they need to be focused on frames, exceptions of course.

Pinguwin

EA30 might be a generic post but i thought the EA50 was actually made by Easton. They certainly say it is on their website, whereas they are deliberately vague about the EA30 and it looks Kalloy-ish.

Is it a brand new post? :?

27.0mm seatpost

Got a old 300mm long Shimano mtb post in 27.0 mm ,think its deore, a bit scruffy, black in colour but very retro.
Anyone want it for the cost of P&P only !
Came of an Orbit MTB circa 1990.

Cheers

Back