Secondhand steel frame, what to buy?

shaun l

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi, just looking for some advice. I'm building myself a racer, I have an Ultrega groupset and am thinking about the frame. I'd like to go for a second hand steel frame, up to about ten years old, with a budget up to £300 (just for the frame), and a modern carbon fork. Can anyone give me any advise about what to look for, the best places to look, what the weight should be and any pitfalls to be avoided.

Cheers

go for something thats rideable in brought condition then at least as you upgrade you can sell off the old bits . what to look for depends on what you want surely . i have a nice Townsend 531 framed racer from the late 80' s or early 90's that could be ideal but then you might think not

What size frame do you need? It may have a bearing on what falls in budget - when I've been looking, I've normally found medium-sized (54/56/58cm) frames to fetch higher prices than their smaller or larger counterparts, so if you're an elf or a giant, you may well get more bang for your buck.

Also, do you have any preference from where it comes from? A classic English builder or something European?

One snippet of advice - whatever you decide on, make sure it has an English bottom bracket (1.370 x 24TPI, with LHT fixed cup) and standard 27.2mm seat post fitting, as these are by far the most common replacements.

Thanks for the replies, the groupset is not the compact so I think that makes it the double? Not sure which one, will find out later. Frame size I'm after is 58cm. Don't mind where the frame comes from, just want something of good quality.

If anyone has anything suitable please feel free to let me know.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Cheers bud. Had no idea you can get a custom frame for that sort of money. Just rang Steve, decided to go for a 725... screw budgets!

shaun l":125vc0bn said:
Cheers bud. Had no idea you can get a custom frame for that sort of money. Just rang Steve, decided to go for a 725... screw budgets!

Cool- get some pics up when its built! Are you going to his shop for a fitting? I think my next road bike will be a custom made steel too.

Back