Santa Cruz Superlight

suburbanreuben

Old School Grand Master
I bought this on Ebay last night. The seller dropped it round on his way to work this morning. Only a 20 mile detour for him... :D :D

It's supposed to be an'07, but they didn't, apparently, have V brake bosses. The serial no starts A 501...
Not the most sophisticated suspension system, but well proven over the years, and minimal maintenance.
I've started gathering the bits... :D

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 3,460
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 3,458
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 3,457
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 3,456
i likey!
what the planned build/colour?
what is the brace bit on the swing arm? wont it hit the tyre?
arent these the same design as the heckler??? :oops:

It's going to have to be a cheap , low maintenance build, mainly with bits I already have.
I think it was a bit of a bargain, which always helps.
I'm not really clued up on Santa Cruz, but I think the Heckler is a bit chunkier. Tyre clearance is not good, so there goes the plan to run Speed King 2.3's.
I was going to get one of these last century, but I bought a rubbish Scott instead. :roll:

what is the brace bit on the swing arm?

It's a swingarm brace. Very floppy without it.

wont it hit the tyre?

Only if you run an excessively large tyre. My Heckler's got an aftermarket brace with extra clearance.

arent these the same design as the heckler???

Kinda. The original Superlight was almost exactly the same as the Heckler of the day, only with lighter tubing and a rider weight limit - it was actually called the Heckler Superlight initially. The only visible difference was that the swingarm uprights were machined on the outside. This is a slightly later version, at which time the Heckler had gone to longer travel - the Superlight's been 4in for ever. Ace bikes.

When did thet first come out? '97? '98? I seem to remember Marin trumpeting their "revolutionary" sweet spot design, when these had already been out for some while.

Heckler? 1996. The Tazmon - similar but with less travel - a couple of years before that. First SL was 99 I think.

Nice :)

I was going to go for that 'till I asked the seller to check the sizing :roll:

If you see a medium let me know ;)

Cheers

Back