Removing Rock Shox Indy Steerer

Marvel

Old School Hero
As it says really. I've got some Rock Shox Indy's that I need to get the steerer tube out of the crown. Looking at them there's and aluminium bung inside the steerer to increase the interference fit between it and the crown. If I press the bung out will I be able to get the steerer out or will I just ruin the forks? Anyone tried it?

Press and bonded in.

If desperate I'd look for a Mag21 crown with bolt on bits and dremel the legs out of your forks. Pop em in and hey...

You need to use a hydraulic press to get the steerer out of the crown and the new one back in. I assume you want to put a longer steerer in? I have done this loads of times, as long as the crown is not damaged, both parts are clean and you use Loctite stud and bearing fit to bond them, then there are no problems.
If anything, I would say that the fit is usually too tight to start with, especially manitou's. An interference fit is typically 0.012 - 0.02mm, but I have found some to be as much as 0.07mm which can cause either the steerer to bell in at the end or the crown to bulge out. I tend to machine the crown out to the correct size. I have never had a problem with doing this and have done so with my own forks and to ones people are riding around on.
Sorry about the ramble!
I would be happy to do this for you by the way if you dont have access to a press.

Back