Yet another white Kona....

Feedback
View
I’ve always fancied an Explosif, and managed to pick a complete 1997 one up on eBay a few months back. It was a bit big for me though so I then bought a 1998 frame, transferred most of the bits, bought a few more bits from here, and this is the result. I guess it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, as it’s a bit of a mix - it’s also my first proper build, so be gentle :)

I know the colour choice is a bit unoriginal, I only decided on white as I sat on the train with it on the way to the powder coaters :oops: I figured the 1998 decals wouldn’t look that great on the white frame, and given it was always going to be a bit bastardised I thought I’d put some 1997 stickers on it, as I liked the baby blue colour.

Here’s the full spec:

Frame: 18” 1998 Explosif
Fork: Bomber Z2 Light
Stem: ControlTech
Handlebar: Easton CT2
Grips: Poshbikes foam
Brakes: XTR M950
Brake Levers/Shifters: XTR M950 STI
Front Derailleur: XT M738
Rear Derailleur: XTR M950
Cassette: XT M737
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: RaceFace Prodigy XC
Bottom Bracket: FSA Platinum Pro
Pedals: DMR V8 (should replace these with Wellgo MG1s asap)
Rims: Mavic XC717
Hubs: XT M770
Spokes: DT
Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC Pro
Saddle: BeOne
Seatpost: Kore Lite 2 (polished)
Seatpost Binder: ?

Here she is mid-build
SDC10337.jpg

The finished article
SDC10358-1.jpg

SDC10347-1.jpg

SDC10350.jpg

SDC10359.jpg

SDC10338-1.jpg

It's not superlight, but not heavy, and aside from the bombers needing a bit of a tune up its exactly what I wanted, nice and fast, quite flickable but not too twitchy!

I'd be interested to know how you rate the Reynolds 853 frame compared to the Columbus Max for their respective dynamic properties. I have one of each, both excellent but very different.

I am always honest and I must say I have a personal aversion to using the wrong year's decals, especially as it can make people wonder whether the bike really is a genuine Explosif. Just a suggestion, but Reynolds sell 853 seat tube stickers for £5, and I think one of those would look good and add a nice extra touch of authenticity.

Just to show that our minds have thought alike in some respects, here is a picture of my 96 Explosif.

Attachments

• 1996 Explosif size 18 near Alciston side.jpg
    1996 Explosif size 18 near Alciston side.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 3,130
Back